Is Kodak 800 Getting Better?

Hi Les, all the cassette says is Kodak 800. The box the cassettes were in said China. Didn't save the box but I'm checking further next time I visit K-Mart. Film was processed by K-Mart and then scanned on my 4870 at I believe 2400 with low sharpening. Everything looked good in the preview so no other tweaking was done. Cropped the frame edges and saved for web at about 150k. I'm going to expose the next roll at 1600 and see what happens.

All of my previous experiences with 800 film have not been satisfactory IMO. I've been looking for an inexpensive digital for low light stuff but I am going to wait a bit now. Regards.

The film does have trouble with indoor fluorescents. Do any digitals work well in those conditions? I'm looking for a Pentax "ist"....... any experiences with it?

Can't vouch for the Electro's metering accuracy in very low light but under normal lighting it's done ok in the past.

Yes Portra 800-2 is significantly improved and seems like a 1000-1200

speed film, although with plenty of overexposure latitude so rating

at 800 yields excellent shadow detail. The consumer equivalent is

Max 800-4 if I'm not mistaken. Both films deteriorate more quickly

than do slower-speed films, so be sure to refrigerate and/or buy

fresh.

Isn't the Epson 4870 a flatbed scanner which gives somewhat

soft looking scans of 35mm that tend to hide film grain?

Have it scanned on the Kmart scanner at 16base resolution and

see how the grain looks.

How about a 100% crop of the posted image? Down rezing can

really hide a lot of an image's artifacts.

Hi Tim, didn't know I had a parade going, just noticed that this recent film was much better IMHO than earlier examples and wondered if I was seeing something new.

Try it and see what you think. I'm not much of a grain sniffer using the unremarkable 4870 scanner and uncalibrated LCD monitor.

I'm preparing to purchase a small format DSLR soon and before throwing away $600 to $700 I want to get some decent ISO for the money. After seeing the new film and comparing costs, I might wait awhile...... or get a Fuji Z1/2. Regards.

I didn't mean to sound flippant. Your image is quite impressive

compared to what I get from such low lit scenes. I was just trying

to rule out other parameters that could produce unreasonable

expectations. I've never tried using 800 because I thought it'ld

just produce overly grainy results.

When I go looking for this Kodak 800 film will it just say 800-4 on

the box? What color was the box if you can't remember any other

specific labeling?

Thanks for posting this helpful information. Please don't keep it

too quiet.

Hey Tim, look for the yellow Kodak 800 Max box at K-Mart or Wally-Mart. The 800 speed is usually buried behind all the slower film and is packaged 4 or 5 cassettes to the box. I never pay attention to the box printing. It should smell good when you load the film if it's fresh. After processing look for the 800-4 on the film to confirm. Smile. Let's see some comparisons with your digi stuff. See if the box says it's made in China. Regards.