Is it worth repairing a Nikon 35Ti?

michael_p2

<p>Not really a Leica/rangefinder question, but my Nikon 35Ti P&S (which replaced a Leica Minilux) has now also died on me. The Minilux developed the dreaded shutter error after about two years service and now the 35Ti has just frozen and won't respond. While it worked, I thought it produced even better images than the Minilux. Alas, now it is stuck in "on" mode, but nothing happens when I press the shutter button. I am wondering whether it is worth the expense of a repair, given that it (and the Minilux) were really just backups for my M2 ... I am incllined to stick with mechanical cameras that don't thave these electronic errors.</p>

<p>I'd say it comes down to the value to you. Obviously, you like the camera and would use it. What's the cost to repair versus the cost to replace with something you'd like as much? Last time I looked, the 35ti was fetching $250 to $350 on fleabay depending on condition.</p>

<p>Several years ago, my 35ti developed problems and I had it serviced. Almost $200 later, my near mint example had a replaced top cover with noticable marks around the on/off switch. That was from Nikon factory service... they explained it away saying that's what it took to get parts.</p>

<p>Assuming a replacement is $250 and a repair to the replaced camera is another $250, you could be out $500 down the road. For a back up to your M2, I would go for a user M3 that's been serviced. Stay away from the excellent plus to mint versions as they command a higher cost. I have an M3 and love it. My back up is a Rollei 35 which you may want to research as a back up to your M2. They are fully mechanical and a joy to use. One in good shape should only set you back $150 or less.</p>

<p>The Contax T may be an alternative although rather expensive, expect to pay at least $200. It's a gem of a camera no bigger than a Minox albeit you are limited to aperture priority. The Contax G system is top notch but not exactly small or cheap. Then there are some old Japanese fixed lens rangefinders for considerably less money but with excellent optics such as the Yashica Electro (the Electro 35CC has a 35mm lens), Olympus 35 (various models), Konica Auto S2/S3. I have used the Electro GS/GSN and the 45mm lens is quite stellar and the rendition of out of focus is good. The Olympus 35RC is a small and fun camera with a sharp lens but not so pleasing bokeh.</p>

<p>As I said, I used the 35Ti (and the Minilux before that) as a handy backup to my M2, especially for situations where I needed flash, quickly, such as at parties. I used to load it with Kodak Elite Chrome slide film and always got great exposures, never a bad one. I liked the Nikon 35Ti so much, I'm inclined to see if I can get it repaired. However, I suspect these P&S cameras are just much less robust and durable compared to their non-electronic counterparts. I've laready paid a lot of money out for these two top-line P&S cameras, only for them to give out after a year or two. This time around, I may just get an Olympus XA2, which is equally pocketable, but won't cost me as much.</p>

<p>I've got a perfect 35 ti with the case it came in I'd part with. It works perfectly and it's a handy size. I wanted one when they were introduced but couldn't afford it at the time so when I could, I bought one. I don't regret doing so.</p>

<p>I'm overwhelmed with cameras and I'm letting some of them go. If you want it, contact me.<br>

Conni</p>