Is It possible to have a film med format forum

russ_britt3

I feel like I am speaking with "Guardian of Forever" in the Star Trek episode "The City on the Edge of Forever" which since before the sun burned hot in space, it had awaited a question.

What exactly is your question for the MF forum that cannot coexist with a meager few digital questions?

"The City on the Edge of Forever"....ah, a classic! Written by Harlan Ellison with Joan Collins as Kirk's girlfriend in 1930's Earth. No red shirts in this one, though.

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TOS/episode/68716.html

The Guardian is fully capable of answering questions like, "What camera should I buy to take pictures like Ansel Adams?"

The other question is not unreasonable....but my answer is, the forum is fine like it is.

Digital backs for Hassleblads have been available for over a decade now. Some folks shoot film and digital and have no bias or purity issues, but just have real world clients with deadlines. Clients are concerned with the quality and deadlines, not the path a photogrpher uses. Digital backs for 4x5 ie Large Format now are over a decade old too. There is no reason to create a film only medium format forum. Just make your questions aimed towards film if you strive to get answers mostly from film users. A question about a Medium Format 80mm Perfectogon lens will get answers from both film and digital camps if the lens is the ones folks use. What if the lighting group split into strobe and tungsten? where would the chap who used both post his questions?

Who uses tungston lights? I get the point ,Thanks ....good answer...I really love the post...I just bought a Hassey with 6 lenes and three backs...what type and size film should I buy to get great 60X60s without really trying.....I shot a roll ..its was fuzzy and exposure was bad...I guess I should have bought a differrent camera.What camera give beautiful pictures all the time! My mother always said it takes all kinds of people......Why?...

I don't like digital. I am an old film photographer. But that's my choice.<br>

- Some people here use film cameras,<br>

- some other use digital cameras.<br>

The guy and the camera are very often if not most of the time the same ones.<p>

Please, Russ, don't forget that :<p>

<b>WE ARE <u>ALL</u> "LIGHT-WRITERS". WE ARE <u>ALL</u> PHOTOGRAPHERS.</b><br>

Russ, your not the only person that is a dedicated film user. But people want to read about the digital world. IT's the future of imaging. It's hard to swallow the digital thing, but it works on you and you finally give in. I think that most people were very hesitant to go to digital which is really a single frame camcorder but the possibilites are endless. It's just not photography, it's imaging. It's the endless possibility that brings you to it. Once everybody on the team starts using steroids then you have to also if you are going to keep up. But photography is a hobby for me and I don't have to keep up so I will just remain a poor photographer.

Well, I guess I have to admit that I'm with the group that just "doesn't get it!"

This IS the "Medium Format Film Forum" and as somebody mentioned perhaps 4 people

per month mention using "digital film." Again, to repeat another comment above but in a

different way, "digital" is just another method of capturing the image--it uses the same

equipment: light-tight box, lens, finder, shutter and removeable permanent medium on

which the "photographer" records his views, thoughts, feeling, emotions (or his two feet

and the floor which he trips the shutter accidentally.)

Both "film" and "digital" images can be reproduced as inkjet or photosensitive paper prints

and both can be edited, altered, photoshopped, or whatever you call it--manipulated--in

the printing process.

Most medium format folks use film because digital backs are so expensive that their

money is more usefully applied to purchasing lenses, AND, there are slight "signature"

differences in tone that can't be captured with the same feeling digitally as on film, but

which often can be reproduced with digital manipulation afterward.

All of that puts us back to where we started: "b&w film" "color negative film" "color

transparency film" and "digital film" are all "IMAGE RECORDING MEDIA" and that's the only

difference.

To draw further distinctions would require at least FOUR separate forums, each based on

"type of recording media" and resulting in the b&w people having a separate forum from

the "color transparency" people.

It seems to me that this was pretty much agreed upon over the last two years as "digital"

took over the largest segment of what used to be called the "35mm" market while film still

dominated the Medium and Large format approaches to photography.

Don't most people see it this way ?

We might have several separate forums, one for Hasselblad, one for Mamiya, one for Rollei and so on...<br>

And of course separate forums for film Hasselblads, digital Hasselblad...<br>

But, what would be the advantage ? I don't find any one. On the contrary, I think that a unique forum is a wonderful exchange of experiments. I am an unconditional Rollei user, but I always read threads about Mamiya, Hasselblad, Pentax and other brands.<br>

I am aware that my medium format camera can't use a digital back, and that one day, I will maybe have to buy a digital back for my Linhof, and leave my Rollei in its case, for lack of films.<br>

But I don't need neither self-satisfaction of other Rollei users, nor some false feeling of security of film users.<br>

Only the difference enriches us. That's life.<br>