Is a Leica Autofocus camera on the horizon?

andy_reid1

I had an interesting phone conversation with Leica yesterday. I called the

corperate office to sign up for Leica Pro Service and after signing up I was

asked if I would be willing to take a survey. They started out by asking what

kind of work I did and then moved on to equipment that I use. After finding this

out they asked:

1. Did I use a digital SLR?

2. What brand and model and was i happy with it?

3. Had I ever used the R8 or R9 and did I like them.

4. Would I be interested in a digital SLR based on the R8/9

Of course I said yes that I would love to see a digital R and thati would gladly

put my Nikon D's on ebay if such a camera came to be.

Thought you all might be interested.

The point in AF is that it is yet another tool than CAN work for you. Personally I prefer manual focus, but I do have and use AF Nikons (rarely) in situations wher manual would/could let me down. at one time, with failing eyesight, I depended heavily on AF to accuratly complete assignments. The client could see the results better than I and that is what mattered! I now have a pretty good work around for my manual M's and R's but but have not thrown out the AF cameras.

Cheers,

John

I really dont see how Leica can compete with the electrical and technological knowledge and research capabilities that the giants Canon and Nikon have and partnering with a 'general electronics manufacturer' such as Panasonic isnt that clever either. I think they should stick to producing what they are best at, the M series. (and superb lenses!)

Karl

Leica will soon be able to licence a suitable sensor and using other licenced electronics will be able to put out a digital R camera - it won't be maybe for two years, but I see no reason why this will not be quite easy for them. They can still charge their premium over what the likes of Canon and Nikon will be charging then for a 14mp camera. I don't really see the issue - assuming Leica are still in business then. In a few years time digital SLRs will be a dime a dozen and the technology will not be such a big deal. With Leica's reputation for optics this might well be a big success. The M I do see as a little harder as Leica are the only people to make a real M so there are not so many "off the shelf" solutions available.

Robin Smith

<<My other thought would be, if they're only now doing the surveys to guage interest, it's gonna be a long wait.>>

They might have the designs all set, are just trying to guage if they should tool up for production. Since they phrased the question <Would I be interested in a digital SLR based on the R8/9>, obviously they have most of the tooling already, it's just a matter of substituting digital guts for the film guts. The hardest part for them would be getting the digital sensor to reproduce those fine horizontal scratches the R8 puts across the film ;>)