Inventors of the CCD Share Nobel Prize for Physics

<p>Of course, I couldn't help but notice this photo of laureate George Smith proudly displaying what seems to me to be a CMOS sensor:</p>

<p>http://hosted.ap.org/photos/3/3cec0268-f110-4725-bf69-b48becb40107-big.jpg</p>

<p>The original caption reads:</p>

<p>"A charge-coupled device, or CCD chip is seen inside a digital camera held by George E. Smith, 79, at his home in Waretown, N.J., Tuesday, Oct. 6, 2009, after it was announced that he had won the Nobel Prize in physics. Smith along with Willard S. Boyle, 85, were honored for inventing the eye of the digital camera, a sensor able to transform light into a large number of pixels, the tiny points of color that are the building blocks of every digital image. (AP Photo/Mel Evans)"</p>

<p>Hmm...</p>

<p>Regarding the photograph of Smith that Robert points us to, my guess is that the photographer thought: "We need a prop for this shot." And then he took one of his Canon bodies, put it in sensor cleaning mode, and handed it to Dr. Smith to make the photograph more interesting, perhaps not realizing (or not caring) that Canon use CMOS sensors!</p>