Internet photography courses.

sue_durant

Has anyone heard of, or have opinions about School of

Photography.com who appear to be based in Southern Ireland. Web site

and courses appear to be run by David Butcher. Does anyone have

recommendations of other Internet based courses - good and bad

opinions welcomed please. Many thanks.

Just an opinion: I've taught a LOT of photography in a long career as a professional, and I have very mixed feelings about learning the craft from afar. It is a laying-on-of-hands sort of thing, and you should have the benefits of personal instruction. (For more details, contact me off-board.) Others may differ, and that's as it should be.

Thanks for your opinion Art but I do not think that "a laying on of hands" is what I require in this instance! I am looking for good quality Internet teachings and would like to get a generalised view and opinions from people who may have experiences - good or bad.

• 2 months later...

I've been loosely researching this topic recently. I agree with Art that, ideally, personal instruction might be preferred. Unfortunately there are many, such as myself, who's geographical or professional ties place them a long way from the quality of instruction they seek.

<br><br>

The bad news is that, unless my research is shoddy (quite possible!), there appears to be very little offered online that might be described as rigorous or critical. <a href="http://www.nyip.com/gen_info/courseinfo.php">New York Institute of Photography</a> is the high-profile organization in this area, of course, although I'm not sure they offer what I'm personally looking for. For now, I'm considering some short workshops as a way to satisfy the educational itch.

First off, I agree with Art, it's a good thing to learn photography from someone face to face.<br><br>

If that's not an option, one online school that has a few good photography courses is <a href="http://www.sessions.edu">Sessions</a>.</p> <p>I developed their Digital Photo I class and I think it's pretty comprehensive. Each lesson has an exercise where you go out and shoot something based on what you've learned, and you get a critique as well as having the instructor available for any questions you may have about photography.

Art is 100% right on!! You can read all the books in the world and retain very little. In photography, more than any other profession, hands on is the ONLY way to learn. Another persons direction is great, but photography is such a complicated art form that nobody, and I mean nobody knows it all. If you ever get to thinking you know everything there is to know about photography------think again!! You know what? You just may be at one of the best places of all to learn, right here in this forum. There is alot of wisdom here and it's all free. Photgraphy is nothing more than writing with light, learn the basics well and the rest will come-----over time. I have been a photographer for many years and I learn every day and so do all good photographers. They never stop learning because a good photographer always strives to learn his craft, working hard to get better every day. Here's my rule of thumb on people who want to become photographers: It takes many years to learn but if you have the passion for photography, you will succeed. Nobody grabs a camera and becomes a master overnight, it takes years. Now ask those questions and start learning and save the money for a good lens!! Good luck, Jerry Junkins

• 3 months later...

I've learned most of what I know from books, the theoretical aspects of photography, but for the most part I had to go out and put into practice what I'd read. However, those things that have had the greatest impact on my learning have been from my interaction with others who are more knowledgeable than I am and have given me advice and constructive criticism in person, while also showing me what they meant with their verbal instructions/suggestions; the difference is the effect of the immediate feedback one gets, I suppose.

I'm a former Swimming/Lifesaving Instructor and a former Gymnastics Instructor; I wonder how someone can learn gymnastics or swimming soley from a book, without the one-to-one interaction with a live person, an instructor...? Can you imagine teaching someone overseas how to ride a bicycle or to rollerskate by way of the Internet?

I can imagine that there are things that one can learn without the personal impact of a live person but.... isn't something lost the personal interaction is not present?

The need for personal interaction with a tutor/instructor and others from a classroom environment is sacrificed when the need for correspondance courses arises; not everyone has the time or proximity to a classroom environment (for whatever multitude of reasons there may be) and substitutes (correspondance classes) must be considered.

Oftentimes, one must do what one can in order to learn when the best is simply not an available option.

I took an online Photoshop course & found it slightly above worthless. The only accomplishment signing up for the course did was to discipline me to do each week's lessons. I could have accomplished more by studying a good book.

The critique of the work was of the cheerleading type, no matter how bad an image was, it was something like "good effort" or "nice try", however, basically, it was so that you wouldn't become disillusioned with the course.

When I started in photography, I took a course in the local adult school, and found the personal interaction much more valuable, therefore, agree with Art's basic premise of it being a hands-on process (Art-any free lessons for sucking up?). While taking an in-person course may not be possible for everyone, if you have the option, I would heartily recommend that you do so.

Good luck,