I got an awesome deal on a D3 package that I need to part out... It was a bit more than my $1000 budget I have at the moment for camera gear. The package is as follows: ($2250) - Like new D3 with 9,000 actuation's, 3 batteries, charger and manual - AF-S DX 17-55mm f/2.8 Nikkor - AF 70-300mm G Nikkor - SB-800 Now I have three options that I can't choose between: 1. DX Option: Sell the D3 and 70-300, and keep the 17-55 and SB-800 for ~$150 my cost, leaving $850 for new gear (at the moment, I add to the fund monthly) 2. Old FX Option: Sell the two lenses, and keep the D3 and SB-800 flash for ~$1000 my cost (flash typically goes for $300 used, so $700 D3!) 3. Open Option: Sell all but the SB-800 flash and put $900 profit + $1000 budget (=$1900) towards new gear. I am an amateur photographer in my limited spare time outside of work, and have been holding out for "the" camera since I got into photography. I started looking at DSLRs in late 2007, and couldn't settle on a camera I could afford until 2009 when I purchased a used D70s for $325 as a tie-me-over camera until I can afford something better, like a D300. I really took the wise suggestion, "spend more money on gear than a body," seriously and ended up spending $1000 on (old) FX lenses, strobes and other gear over the first year or two. I got into photography cheap, and have been pretty happy with the results. By 2011, I learned to hate my inferior D70s - the microscopic view finder, low DR, noise 800ISO and above, crappy LCD, lack of weather sealing, and my 5 AF points. Yes, by this time I was surrounded by friends with "modern" cameras (ie D7000 and other recent cameras). The desire to use my camera died, and I lacked the funds to purchase anything better. I also felt like there wasn't a great upgrade path at the time - the D7000 was VERY uncomfortable in my hands. I selected Nikon because of the way the Prosumer and Professional bodies fit my large hands and I like the way the controls were laid out. The tiny D7000 grip cramps up my hand within minutes of holding it. I decided to hold out for the D300s replacement, because I could wait another year... Here we are 2 years later, and still no D300s replacement. I was really hoping for one by this fall. I was eying the D800 and D600 when they were announced, but neither look perfect to me. The D800 is out of my $1900 budget (Option #3) and the images are just too massive, otherwise a great option. The D600 was promising for a minute, but the tiny AF area among other shortcomings make it a $2200 compromise. So really, a D700/D3 looks like the best option at the moment, especially if the D3 only cost me $700. My problem with the D3 is it's age - it lacks live view/live tethering, video, sensor dust cleaner, decent ISO performance (D7000 and D600 outperform it), and it is a little heavy and bulky. 12MP is my minimum requirement, but that is enough for me. AF performance is amazing, and would miss it (although don't need it) in a different camera. I feel like this D3 would be a (awesome) tie-me-over for the next couple years. Now I have just recently purcahsed this D3, but I have been using a D700 at work for several months, so I have a good idea how the D3 performs in IQ. To do video, I would have to pickup a used D7000 or something (option #2 +$800 = $1800 tie-me-over). I think a small body would be fine for video - I wouldn't be holding it by the grip. The big bummer there is that I would need a DX wide angle in addition to a FX wide angle... $$ I would not be all that happy with a 5.1MP DX crop on the D3. Maybe I would find a way to make that tiny D7000 grip work... And if I do that, then why do I need a D3? You can probably see how easy it is to talk myself into circles - that is why I am here asking you. Now just about anything will outperform my D70s (except for flash sync speed), but I have been patiently waiting for the right camera release to upgrade to and have something with the latest technology and be happy with it for years to come. I have always planned to eventually jump to FX, but I think a nice D300s replacement would suit me best until Nikon releases the next round of FX cameras. If I choose option 1 or 3, I could patiently wait another 6 months in hope for a professional DX. What would you do in my situation?