Instant 35mm

Ten years later when 110 cameras were introduced there were dire rumblings that this small format could gobble up 35mm cameras. Didn't work out that way, what with compact auto 35mm RF's like the Konica C35 plus offerings from other camera companies that were just as small.

For obvious reasons the entry level Instamatics with their f 11 lenses and 1/40 and 1/90 second shutter speeds were optimized for best results with ISO 64 films (Kodachrome-X and Ektachrome-X) Later Kodacolor-X was ISO 80 well within its latitude. Here's an Ektachrome-X slide from my 124 that was taken in 1969. Cropped slightly. Conditions must have been about right for this to work out.

upload_2018-6-6_15-22-54.jpeg.06e7811b4d6d8a5c127025c578945ac2.jpeg

Santa Rosa Island, Florida

There are many "photographic" moments in Close Encounters of the Third Kind, but one of my favorites is when Roy is clumsily trying to load his Instamatic for an expected return of the UFOs

YES! If you saw it back in the day in its original 70mm six-track Dolby release, the sound of the winding stroke once he finally gets it loaded would rip across the theater- wild! Then there's the brace of motorized Nikon F2s and Hasselblad 500 ELMs tracking the barrage of UFOs at Devils Tower, and Melinda Dillon taking snapshots of the aliens with her Rollei 35B! As the proud teen owner of a Rollei 35S at the time, it always sorta bugged me visually that they had her use the rather ugly lesser-known 35B model instead of the iconic 35 or 35S. Eventually I figured it belonged to someone on set and they just spontaneously handed it to her for the scene (the movie was notoriously improvised).

I had a 124 and a roll of Kodachrome X (or maybe Kodachrome 64) in about 1985 for a canoe trip.

I didn't want to bring an expensive camera, in case it fell in the water. The 124 was from a garage sale.

-- glen

I had a 124 and a roll of Kodachrome X (or maybe Kodachrome 64) in about 1985 for a canoe trip....

Almost assuredly it was Kodachrome 64.

From Wikipedia:

"In 1961 Kodak released Kodachrome II with sharper images and faster ASA speeds at 25 ASA.[21] In 1962, Kodachrome-X at ASA 64 was introduced. In 1974, with the transition to the K-14 process, Kodachrome II and Kodachrome-X were replaced by Kodachrome 25 and Kodachrome 64.[22]"

I had a 124 and a roll of Kodachrome X (or maybe Kodachrome 64) in about 1985 for a canoe trip.

I didn't want to bring an expensive camera, in case it fell in the water. The 124 was from a garage sale.

That is EXACTLY the circumstance of the photo I posted. I had just bought my first Pentax ME and hadn’t yet improvised the .50 cal. ammo can for taking it on the river trips. The little Kodak went in a ziplock bag inside a MacDonalds pickle bucket with other dry items.

In fact, one of the guys in the picture had same name and initial as you!

That was in 81 or 82 on the Eleven Point River.