Instant 35mm

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by marc_bergman|1, Jun 5, 2018.

1. YES! If you saw it back in the day in its original 70mm six-track Dolby release, the sound of the winding stroke once he finally gets it loaded would rip across the theater- wild! Then there's the brace of motorized Nikon F2s and Hasselblad 500 ELMs tracking the barrage of UFOs at Devils Tower, and Melinda Dillon taking snapshots of the aliens with her Rollei 35B! As the proud teen owner of a Rollei 35S at the time, it always sorta bugged me visually that they had her use the rather ugly lesser-known 35B model instead of the iconic 35 or 35S. Eventually I figured it belonged to someone on set and they just spontaneously handed it to her for the scene (the movie was notoriously improvised).

2. Not to mention the Rapid 100 and even a 110 camera or so....

3. I had a 124 and a roll of Kodachrome X (or maybe Kodachrome 64) in about 1985 for a canoe trip.

I didn't want to bring an expensive camera, in case it fell in the water. The 124 was from a garage sale.

4. Vincent Peri

Vincent Peri Metairie, LA

Almost assuredly it was Kodachrome 64.

From Wikipedia:

"In 1961 Kodak released Kodachrome II with sharper images and faster ASA speeds at 25 ASA.[21] In 1962, Kodachrome-X at ASA 64 was introduced. In 1974, with the transition to the K-14 process, Kodachrome II and Kodachrome-X were replaced by Kodachrome 25 and Kodachrome 64.[22]"

5. That is EXACTLY the circumstance of the photo I posted. I had just bought my first Pentax ME and hadn’t yet improvised the .50 cal. ammo can for taking it on the river trips. The little Kodak went in a ziplock bag inside a MacDonalds pickle bucket with other dry items.
    In fact, one of the guys in the picture had same name and initial as you!
    That was in 81 or 82 on the Eleven Point River.

6. I more often used Ektachrome in 35mm, and didn't remember when the change was for Kodachrome, but it seems to have been about the same time.

It was on a river somewhere in central Illinois.

7. A very nice issue, Marc, thanks for posting!

Kodak attempted several times to secure competitive advantage by launching new, exclusive film formats. 126 was probably the boldest effort.

Looking at those cameras so many years later I am stricken by how different (and nicer) the 500 was from the other types. I wonder how Mr. Nerwin really felt about inventing 126 and these plastics marvels, after his previous work.

It was a good year for more serious cameras as well, for instance the Olympus Pen F and a Topcon with CdS behind-the-lens metering.

In "Behind the Scenes" we are warned not to get a Pentax into the U.S. without Honeywell's permission - maybe the warning was oriented to those going to the Tokyo olympic games.

The article in Camera 35 about two-bath developers is quite useful.

8. Great discussions regarding the 126 format, and I was interested to see some information on the Yamoto Koki Seisakusho "Artronic L", supposedly the first camera in the world to have an electronic shutter. So far as I know it never reached the production line, but it was an interesting development from a small Japanese company. Thanks for the post, Marc.