Inherited a large (really large) lot of "vintage" photographic equipment

I inherited some very old lenses, but know next to nothing about this equipment. I really could use some help in finding out what this stuff is, and in finding what condition it is in. One of them is on sale at eBay now:

Bausch & Lomb Baltar 152mm F2.7 lens

What could be wrong with the lens, especially the lens glass, and how would I find out? What would I look be looking for, and how would I look for it. Also any advice on the ad itself. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I hope this is the right forum, apologies if not.

I recall that Bausch & Lomb Baltar Lenses were made for 35mm Movie Cameras - I assume this is so for this lens.

Your ad has fault(s) - the main one I see is that the lens does NOT have a 'zoom'.

Additionally, the 'small dent' does not appear to be insignificant to me, obviously my comment comes with the lens unseen; but, those lenses were well built (read 'for heavy duty use' ergo, a 'small dent' prima facie is 'a dropped lens' which makes one think of optical misalignment.

I have no comment on the price that you a requesting – I have no idea of the lens’s value.

Two (typical) other issues with old movie lenses are: Mould and other growths, Aperture/Iris lag or sticking.

I have moved this thread to “Casual Conversation” as I expect that there would be a broader reception in that forum.

Good luck.

WW

Any lenses glass should be utterly smooth, shiny & crystal clear. This seems smeared (needs cleaning) or to have multiple small surface scratches. The dent is significant for 2 reasons IMO. 1: its obviously been struck hard, how can you be certain there isn't as yet unseen internal damage as well? 2. it will no longer take screw in filters.

What zoom works?

This is a fixed focal length so there is no zoom per se.can you describe this a little better?

I'd also quibble the listed condition. I worked in the busines for a long time & an honest description would be

Condition, fair, scratched glass & chipped cosmetic paint. Filter ring dented.

You'd also need to list the type of mount because it was made for many different ones.

Based on other similar for sale ads this would seem a reasonable price for one in better condition.

"2.7 FAST BALTAR 152mm CINE LENS C MOUNT BAUSCH & LOMB :

$460"

The dented thread is also bad news as it will prevent the nameplate ring from being unscrewed to dismantle the lens for cleaning.

If I were considering whether to bid a significant sum for a lens, I think I would have wanted to see more pictures of it from different angles, for example what is written on the piece of paper stuck to it? Also I would have wanted sharper, more softly lit and consistently exposed pictures. I normally shoot for eBay at F/16 to get good depth of field, which gives a slow shutter speed requiring the camera to be on a tripod. I use diffused daylight with a reflector to fill in the shadows. Or if I use flash, I use a diffuser over an off-camera flashgun to one side, again with a reflector on the opposite side to even things out. I think it's worth the extra effort, after all this is product photography.

I must admit it's not easy to photograph old lenses (and even fairly new ones) without making the glass look a lot worse than it actually is.

Did you Google the lens information on the lens in order to determine the price? Honestly, from the photos it looks fairly thrashed. Glass looks hazy and maybe scratched, the dent is pretty big, the body is all nicked up. Whatever the value range of those lenses, this would be at the lower end of it.

Did you Google the lens information on the lens in order to determine the price? Honestly, from the photos it looks fairly thrashed. Glass looks hazy and maybe scratched, the dent is pretty big, the body is all nicked up. Whatever the value range of those lenses, this would be at the lower end of it.

I looked at the listing. The lens isn't in that poor condition.

I looked at completed listings for Baltars. They bring what I see as silly money. Silly or not, they bring it.

I looked at the listing. The tube that the OP thinks makes it a zoom lens has no glass in it. OP, think again.

A mount adapter perhaps? Definitely not a zoom.

I'm sorry but this seems to be something you are unfamiliar with & so your description is heavily flawed & your price excessive, even for one in better condition or even repairable.

Not to pick, but you'll get more bites with a better description & realistic price.

Yes. I did before listing it. Prices range from $535 to $1k on eBay. There was one on eBay, whose glass was in worse shape, they were asking $1k. On the web from private stores, the prices range up to $1800, for ones in better shape.

Good luck then. Maybe someone will get it. I have a friend who loves "C" lenses for her Panasonic M 3/4 cameras with adapters. I think that may have something to do with the good prices.