Infrared with Rebel XT

angrygopher

Hey Justin,

Hope you don't get pissed at Rob's response, but it is really the best advice. It's a bit much for someone to explain in one posting. After reading some general info, more specific questions would be better.

Bob's link would've shown you the hot spot issue with the XT. It's very bad and really doesn't match what one can potentially get in an IR image. What size do you wish to enlarge to? I, and many others, still like the SONY F series. I used to use the F717, which has an excellent lens (I still believe this after owning a few of Canon's best lenses), and its extrememly easy to take IR photos (the IR block filter can be removed with the flick of a switch - but only auto exposure, 828 is same), and there are also detailed instructions available for the complete removal of the filter (which can be done on any camera, but for some it can be very very hard, probitive in most cases). By your posting, one doesn't need to ask if you like IR photos. In my case it was a passing phase. This was three years ago at the beginning of my obsession with photography. I shot lots of IR (I never knew about it three years ago, though this type of photography has been around for a long time), and took some pictures I enjoyed (there might be one in my gallery still). After about a year of it though I started to think I was taking an easy way out, I wasn't thinking about light as much as I was form (I feel its almost innately beautiful, and takes away from the challenge in some way - not that pictures are only about being beautiful, or being beautiful at all - but at that time, I wanted to take beautiful pictures). It was good practice, but there came a time I wanted to move on.

I'm not saying any of this to discourage you from IR. I think I said all that to tell you it might be a passing interest, and to just keep it in mind.

If I were in your position now, I'd look at getting a used F717 (I was waiting a long time for the 828, when it came out, I decided to go to a Canon dslr - but the 828 does have CF, which may be important for you since you have an XT - and they are probably available on the used market too- i'm sure a lot of the people who bought 828s now have a DSLR of some kind). You should be able to get one for cheap. If you're not printing big (below 8x10), I think you'll be extremely pleased. Be careful with focusing, and if you haven't removed the IR filter, use a tripod, because you get slower shutter speeds in the auto exposure mode - though in good light you can easily hand hold and shoot IR.

If you have the money, and you're really into this, I'd go and buy B+W 092, and 093 filters (093 is more opaque to visible light and low frequency IR, and only higher frequency IR passes). If you're going to do it on the XT, get the 092 (equivalent to the Hoya one which is always mentioned but I cant remember right now - because I bought the B+Ws...Hoya R72...sorry, I'm guessing, if you googled, you know by now anyways) - I'd get the cheaper (sorry...less expensive) one, because in my opinion Hoya/Kenko makes nice filters, and I prefer their filter threads.

Sony has smaller cameras that also have Nightshot (the ability to remove the IR block filter with a switch), if you want a more pocketable camera to add.

hth

gu