Information of Ricoh kr-5 super

<p>I recently received an used Ricoh KR-5. It works fine and just needed some cleaning.<br>

But I am having trouble finding any information on this camera in the web. I am just curious about date of production. Is it a 80s camera? Or is it more recent?<br>

I would like to read some history on the development of Ricoh cameras. Some kind of timeline and description of different cameras</p>

<p>Carlos,<br>

I have KR5 superII, I think that it is the smallest 35mm SLR ever built. Nothing exciting about it however, Pentax K mount, very light, the film advance lever tends to pock me in the right eye. I planned to get rid of it but apparently it did a good job with Pentax 50 mm lenses and since it is very small I decided to keep it for a little wile. </p>

<p>I have one also. It may be a ricoh or a cosina. I do not know.<br>

it has some advantages over the pentax K-1000. even though it may not be as well built as a japanese K-1000.</p>

<p>it has a metal vertical moving shutter, with a higher flash synch speed and a 1/2000 top shutter speed.<br>

No pc contact just a hot shoe.<br>

On mine, I had to remove the top plate and clean and bend up the contact prong ( thanks to rick oleson)<br>

I like the camera and think the led metering is better and less subject to damage then a moving meter<br>

( lollypop & stick) also easier for an old man to see.</p>

<p>OH yes a manual is available at www.butkus.orgI</p>

<p>have one also. It may be a ricoh or a cosina. I do not know.<br>

it has some advantages over the pentax K-1000. even though it may not be as well built as a japanese K-1000.</p>

<p>it has a metal vertical moving shutter, with a higher flash synch speed and a 1/2000 top shutter speed.<br>

No pc contact just a hot shoe.<br>

On mine, I had to remove the top plate and clean and bend up the contact prong ( thanks to rick oleson)<br>

I like the camera and think the led metering is better and less subject to damage then a moving meter<br>

( lollypop & stick) also easier for an old man to see.</p>

<p>Mine is a KR5 Super with a top speed of 1/1000. It reminds me of a Konica TC because it is missing some of the slow shutter speeds. My KR5 Super now has a 50/1.7 SMC Pentax-F attached to it. When I got it the rewind crank was broken. Essex Camera Service repaired it for me and I will use it as soon as the weather gets a little warmer. </p>

<p>While not really the smallest SLR (I think that award goes to the Pentax ME/MX SLRs) it is one of the smallest produced in the last couple of decades. Try to find the Ricoh 45mm f2.8 pancake lens and you will have a coat-pocketable SLR. That lens, BTW, did well when tested. You could also fit a Pentax 40mm f2.8, but they are more expensive.<br>

I think it was Cosina-made. It may not have the build quality of the older K-mount SLRs, but being more recent, it may go longer without needing repairs. The last Ricoh SLRs came out in the mid-1990's shortly before Ricoh discontinued the sale of film cameras in the USA.</p>