Image size (Jpeg)

saskia_langridge

<p>Hi there just wondering why my Jpegs are so small? i just bought the 7D and took the camera to my sons pet day shot Raw+Jpeg (step looking L size) and all the Raws are 20+mb in size which is fine but all the Jpegs are around 2mb i though being shot in L they would be around 8mb at least? am i doing something wrong?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I'm a Nikon/Fuji shooter myself, but what is your jpeg quality (= compression) setting (Fine vs. Normal)?<br>

Step looking L size would indicate that the JPEG quality is set to normal which produces more compressed images (=smaller file size). Set it to L Fine (more "curvy" icon) and you'll get better quality JPEGs with larger file size.</p>

<p>Just to elaborate, L refers to the size of the image it's recording (the number of pixels), but JPEG is a <i>lossy</i> compression algorithm - it throws away (hopefully) invisible details so that the file is smaller. The step/curve settings change how the camera trades off throwing away details against file size. What's in the image will also make a difference - a plain blue sky will very likely produce a much smaller image than a detailed (sharp) image of a coloured carpet, for example, because there's more detail to record in the latter.<br />

<br />

Unless you're actually trying to save space with the images, you're probably now on the right setting, as Joshua says.</p>