I continue to be plagued by.................

<p>...............images that're too big to send by e-mail without producing a HUGE image. I'd like to be able to use the large file size in in 40D and through some mechanization end up with images that are easily e-mailed and produce an image size that does not require the use of sliders to see the whole picture. Am I chasing a pipe dream?</p>

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Photoshop, "save for web". Or write an action to change to 8 bit, flatten layers,resize to 100 PPI and 700 px wide for landscape.<br>

You will need to have archived the edited photo in .psd format so you do not deminish the original.</p>

<p>Save files as TIF, and it will not force you to save as a PSD.<br>

If you have used layers, make sure to flatten or merge them first and it wont make you save it as a PSD. <br>

For emailing change them to 8bit, save file to longest dimention of a JPG about 1680pixels wide, with 300 pixels per inch. (Maximum screen resolution for most.) It even works for my brother who has dial up speeds.<br>

It means a good high quality file relatives and family they can print if they want, but reduces the size so it is manageable in email. For posting on facebook or other websites, I make the longest dimension, quality of 10 and 750 pixels on widest edge with 72 pixels per inch.</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=19592">Jeff Spirer</a> every photo has PPI or Pixels per inch. <br>

You can make it 300 or 250 or 200 or 100 or 72 or even 25 ppi... <br>

The hight and width may be in pixels, but it is also in the number of Pixels per inch... which gives you the _resolution_ of the image. The lower the number of pixels per inch, the lower the resolution. Computer screens are commonly 72 ppi, which reduces the size of the file. But, the greater the ppi, the greater the resolution of the image.</p>

<p>Robert: Not really, no. An image on your computer screen is some number of pixels wide, and some number of pixels tall. That's it. The screen resolution is the screen resolution. Period. The PPI/DPI info that's encoded into the file is just some meta information that <em>might</em> be used by some other processes (usually related to printing). But the ONLY thing that matters about display on screen is pixels wide, and pixels tall. <br /><br />Walter: try Google's free Picassa program. Perfectly adequate for downsizing copies of your image files for e-mail and web use.</p>

<p>Robert, as Jeff stated, pixels per inch is a totally meaningless measure. Picture width/height in pixels only is the only true measurement of a digital files. Getting into pixels per inch only confuses people who are trying to understand digital files.</p>

<p>Here's what I do to put photos in emails. They appear in the email and do not have to be opened like attachments.</p>

<p>1. Bring the photo into your photo editing program. It doesn't much matter which one. I use Photoshop Elements 5. Nor does it does it matter whether the file is a jpeg, tif, or psd.</p>

<p>2. Don't worry about dpi or ppi. The only thing that matters is the size of the image in pixels. Resize the image to about 400 pixels wide (any where from 350 to 500 works well.)</p>

<p>3. Select the image (cntrl A in Photoshop), copy it (cntrl C), then paste it directly into your email. That's it. BUT DON'T save the resized image overwriting your original. This works with my email client, but may not with some web emails. But give it a try.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><a rel="nofollow" href="../photodb/user?user_id=19592">Jeff Spirer</a> every photo has PPI or Pixels per inch. <br /> You can make it 300 or 250 or 200 or 100 or 72 or even 25 ppi... <br /> The hight and width may be in pixels, but it is also in the number of Pixels per inch... which gives you the _resolution_ of the image. The lower the number of pixels per inch, the lower the resolution. Computer screens are commonly 72 ppi, which reduces the size of the file. But, the greater the ppi, the greater the resolution of the image.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is all nonsense and should be ignored. The only resolution for an image is pixel dimensions. PPI is simply header information that applies when being output to a print device.</p>

<p>Also, the comment on screens is incorrect.<br>

<br /> For Walter: You absolutely don't need to buy Lightroom. You can use Picture Window Pro. I haven't tried it for a while, but there should be a "resize" capability. Resize to have the long side around 800 pixels and let the other side fall wherever. Then do a save and it should ask you for jpeg quality when you do that. Set the quality to mid-range. Then you have a photo that is fine for emailing. Once you have done it a few times, you can start playing around with pixel dimensions and the jpeg quality, but for now, this will give you a decent start. Lightroom won't make your emailed photos any better.</p>

<p>Howdy!</p>

<p>A free membership on mailbigfile.com allows you to send just about any picture at full resolution. A pro membership allows you to send up to 2 gigbytes at a time, and it's relatively inexpensive. It get's around the mailbox size limits common on hotmail and other accounts.</p>

<p>Later,</p>

<p>Paulsky</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I use the lightroom option previously suggested. It works good. <br>

There is a cheaper solution but it takes some learning. Cheaper as in free.</p>

<ol>

<li>Load Active Perl.</li>

<li>There are 1 or 2 perl libraries out there that deal with JPEG files. (I don't remember there names off the top but with a little googling they could be found.) These will need to be loaded too. </li>

<li>find and load a perl script that uses the above libraries to resize the pics. </li>

</ol>

<p>I generated such a perl script years back but stopped using it when I got lightroom. A programming background helps but not required, all the info you need is avaiable on the web (like a giant library). Perl, its additional libraries and tons of scripts can be gotten from the web for free. Except for perl itself, most are scripts (source) so you don't have to worry about virii. Perl is checksummed so you can tell if it is good (not tampered with).</p>

<p><strong>@Jeff Spirer:</strong><br>

You are confusing Pixels Per Inch (PPI) with Dots Per Inch (DPI).</p>

<p>Monitors and similar electronic displays use PPI. Printers use DPI.</p>

<p>PPI should not be ignored when resizing for web display any more than DPI should be ignored when sending an image file to a specific printer. Most monitors can only resolve 72PPI - sending anything higher is a waste. DPI, on the other hand, if device specific - try sending a 72DPI file to an inkjet printer and you'll end up with a fuzzy image. HP and Canon printers want 300DPI for best results; Epson printers want 360DPI. Photo labs vary from 200-425 DPI, depending on the printer the lab uses. </p>

<p>FWIW, The human eye can resolve around 212PPI.</p>

<p>If anyone hasn't replied about resizing in PWP, here's how:</p>

<p>Open the image in PWP</p>

<p>Go to the Transformation menu, to the Geometry part of it and select Resize.</p>

<p>This puts you in the Resize dialogue. Under width put however many pixels wide you want the image...maybe 400 to 600 pixels for an email. Towards the bottom of the dialogue, in the Preserve field, Proportions should be selected and Bicubic should be selected in the Interpolation Method field. Both these are, I think, the defaults. At the bottom there's a Sharpening field. It probably defaults to something like 15 or 20%, which is ok.</p>

<p>Select OK and it is done.</p>

<p>It probably is wise to convert the image to jpg, if it isn't one already. So, select Save As from the File menu, and select jpeg from the drop down list in the dialogue. It may want to convert some things to comply with jpeg standards (like 8bit if your image is 16bit). Select OK. Then it will popup the quality slider. Set to, say, 60%. The Color Sampling field can be set to 4.1.1 for best quality.</p>

<p>Save and attach to email.</p>

<p>Good Luck</p>

<p>None of this applies to raw images, of course.</p>

<p>Walter,</p>

<p>Why not simply use Canon's Digital Photo Professional (DPP) that came with your camera? To re-size using DPP open the DPP program then open the folder where your image(s) is and select it by clicking-on it. The selected image will have a yellow border around it. From the File drop-down menu choose Convert and Save. A dialog box will open. In the Save As: row give it a name or leave it with the image number, your choice. Where: choose Desktop or some other easy to find file. Kind: Exif-JPEG; Image Quality: 8 is fine for email. Output setting: skip this for emailing. Resize setting: Click-on the Resize box to select it. Change Width to 700; Height will be determined automatically as long as the Lock Aspect Ratio box is checked. The Unit measurement to use is PIXEL. Click Save and you're done.</p>