HRH Insurance through photo.net

I have signed up for the insurance offered through photo.net and was wondering

if anyone else has done so. And if so, share your thoughts on the process? I

talked with 2 people at HRH and were both were very friendly and seemed to be

excited about the responses they have gotten. I did some serious searching for

weeks trying to find insurance and this offer could not have come at a better

time. I hope I never have to file a claim, but that being said, I feel better

that I am now insured for my equipment. Thanks photo.net and HRH!

I don't think photo.net offers insurance - you simply responded to an ad served by their advertising partners, I suspect. However, HRH seem to be a large broker with nationwide US coverage, so hopefully you have the cover you need at a competitive price and if the worst comes to the worst your claims handling will go smoothly.

Mark is technically correct. We (and by that I mean photo.net) do not offer insurance ourselves. What we have done is partnered with an insurance company to give our subscribers access to a policy at cvery good rates.

While I haven't called them to get an exact quote, judging by their information I would save $4-500 a year from what I am paying now for gear and liability coverage.

Also, as a quick note, do NOT use a rider/floater on your homeowners policy to cover your caerma gear. It is a horrible idea. If the company decides that you have too many losses, they can cancel your whole homeowners policy. Not just the rider/floater. It happened to be a few years back and I had to pay 3x my previous homeowners rate through a 2nd tier company for 4 years. No 1st tier company will insure you if you have recently had a policy canceled. Thank you very little State Farm.

This may appear as a dumb question but here it is anyhow. What is the necessity of liability insurance for a photographer? I have dealt with liability insurance during my career in the plumbing-HVAC trades for obvious reasons. But I don't see too much liability exposure in photography. Please enlighten me.

Lavern --

You don't just need product liability coverage. You need a general liability policy for the

same reason ANY business needs liability coverage: in case you cause injury to someone

or in case you cause damage to someone else's property. If you aren't shooting for any

business reason, then you probably don't need ANY insurance, except to cover your

equipment.

But if you are getting paid to do photography, you need a GL policy in case a kid gets hurt

in your studio, if you knock over a piece of valuable art at a client's premises, if your lights

start a fire at a wedding reception, if the venue where you're providing a service requires

that you have a certain amount of liability insurance to even be working there ... all of

these are reasons that if you have a photography business, you should have insurance.