HP B9180's Photoshop plugin not showing in CS2

I am running CS2 on Windows Xp. The set up procedures for the HP B9180 states

that the "HP Photosmart Pro print plug-in" is installed automatically if you

have Adobe Photoshop 7.0 and above on the same computer. I had no problems or

errors show up during setup of the printer and software installation. HP's

instructions say to open an image in PS and look under Files/Automate/and click

"Photosmart Pro print..." This option is not there nor is it in any of the CS2

options such as filters, Import/Export, etc. Neither can I find an HP plug-in in

the Photoshop CS2 folders. Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thanks, Jimmy

I did an install of that printers software with Photoshop 7.0 and CS2 on my system, and the HP printer Photosmart interface *was* installed, in the File|Automate pulldown menu. It looks like an exception of some sort during the printer software install.

I think there *is* a problem with CS3. After a subsequent install of that program I did have to manually copy some files, and now it does work. Here's my notes:

++++++++++++++

To Get the HPB910 print driver to Photoshop CS3, I did the following:

copied:

HPHiddenExport.8be

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Plug-Ins\Adobe Photoshop Only\Import-Export

to:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Plug-Ins\Import-Export

and copied:

from: HP Photosmart Pro print plug-in for Adobe Photoshop.8li

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Plug-Ins\Adobe Photoshop Only\Automate

to:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Plug-Ins\Automate

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for the replies Ronald and Mendel,

I used the Windows Xp search function for HPHiddenExport.8be. It was found only in the Windows Folder. I searched that folder and saw this file and a HP Photosmart plugin file. Windows will not allow one to copy or move files in its folder.

I then opened CS2 and went to Preferences/Plugins and added the Windows folder as an additional plugin folder. I restarted CS2 and opened an image, and the HP Photoshop Pro printer is now an option in CS2's File/Automate box. Clicking on it opens a print window on top of the image. This, as HP says will help streamline the printing process.

Thanks again,

Jimmy

"I then opened CS2 and went to Preferences/Plugins and added the Windows folder as an additional plugin folder"

That's a new one for me. Might be worthwhile to set up an additional folder, dedicated to plug-ins, curve/levels presets, etc.

Something must have gone awry in the install for it to dump those files into C:\Windows. Also, it seems strange that you can't even *copy* the files to somewhere else.

Oh well, it's working ;)

Mendel,

I thought it strange also not being able to copy the files from the Windows folder. On further investigation, I found that it was Adobe preventing the copying or moving the files into its Plug-in folder. The "Adobe Photoshop CS2" sub folder under the Adobe folder was the lowest I could copy the two HP files into. After copying them to this folder, I unchecked the additional folder option in Preferences/Plug-in and removed the two files from the Windows folder. The plug-in is working fine like this.

• 5 months later...
Mendel , Thank you Thank youfor your solution to getting pro print into CS3 I have spent many hours with Hp and Adobe trying to install pro print . I didn't have CS2 0n my computer anymore so I downloaded a trial version just to insert the plug in , and it worked just fine