How To

manuel_j._mora

<p>There is a <a href="https://www.amazon.com/Landscape-Photography-Handbook-Essentials-ebook/dp/B00O58I5QE/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1479988162&sr=1-9&keywords=landscape+photography">free book available from Amazon</a> which many readers seem to like which you can read either on a Kindle or on your computer by downloading a free app. The page contains a link where you can get the app.</p>

<p>Edit: I just saw your website, which says that you are a professional photographer with twenty years experience. How would you answer your question?</p>

<p>It depends.</p>

<p>If you want to imitate your landscape-photography predecessors that you admire, get their books and study their techniques.</p>

<p>If you want to make pictures of what constitutes a landscape today, as <em>opposed to</em> your predecessors, then think, experiment, and think some more. You're on your own. We can't help you, but I wish you every luck and look forward to seeing what you come up with.</p>

<p>You really wanted to know . . . !?<br>

Learn you camera, and cameras how they work and why.<br>

Learn how lenses work and why.<br>

Learn to see the world thru the lens. Learn to see the subject in 2 dimension.<br>

Learn to arrange the subject in-front of you for the best possible composition by moving left or right, up or down, pre-visualize the image before you click the shutter.<br>

Never use a zoom lens in the beginning of a couple of years, zooming not helping you to get e good composition, Walking would do.<br>

Train you mind to visualize the subject thru a lens you want to use, distort or compress perspective in deepness or otherwise for the benefit of a good composition.<br>

Look for the detail, most interesting in the scenery in-front of you, don't get exited of the view what your brain can see. Camera can see subject differently, depend on the lens on it. The camera only a tool not a photographer, The photographer is YOU and you are the person whom creating the image, NOT the camera.<br>

Experiment with wide, medium and tele prime lenses, for example a 28 mm 50 mm 135 mm prime. Always look true the camera-lens to see the subject and put down the camera to enjoy the scenery the view,<br>

Look up a lots of landscape photographers and painters images and study them.<br>

Always, pre-visualize, pre-visualize and pre-visualize.<br>

And that's only the beginning.<br>

Learn how to process those images in your digital darkroom, One of the most important steps to get a good photograph, print, out of you well visualized and photographed images.<br>

Happy shooting.</p>

<p>"what constitutes a landscape today, as <em>opposed to</em> your predecessors"<br>

Why "opposed to your predecessors"? Why not just better, or as good, or without any intention of competition?<br>

Also, if being different is the criterion of a "good photo", then anything can be qualified of being a good photo (same consequence with any form of art)</p>

<p>If any one in a creative endeavor uses the same process, equipment and way of thinking, then most likely the results will be the same as others whether it's professional looking or not.</p>

<p>There are numerous opportunities to introduce variances in any creative endeavor just by thinking and experimenting outside of what's been done before. Why copy? It's such a waste of creative energy.</p>

<p> </p>

• 3 months later...

Hi! Very late to the thread, obviously, but my observations and thoughts are these:

• There are some very common yet still very striking images - some call them "postcard photos." Half Dome partially illuminated by the setting sun, the brim of Niagara Falls, an ultra-wide shot of Horseshoe Bend in the Grand Canyon, and on and on... They're common simply because they're amazing views. There's nothing wrong with taking the same photo that a million other people have taken. Emulating - "copying" - can be a very effective form of learning. It has helped me learn some basics of the craft. Copy until you don't want to anymore.I didn't invent the "golden hour", off-camera flash, mirror lock-up or unusual perspectives on different subjects; but having seen these tips and techniques through the work of others I have been able to take photos that have been very satisfying for me, if not for others.
  • I have taken some of those tips and techniques mentioned in the previous point and applied them to subjects that are new (to me) and tried to apply them in different ways, just to see what happens. Some have worked out, some have not. I've printed some of my attempts and some (many!) have resulted in an immediate "delete." Get creative! Chances are you'll look silly and people will question your sanity when you're trying to shoot a photo upward toward a seeding dandelion and into the sun. Chances are most of your attempts will be "failures." The beauty of these "failures" is that if you learn from your failures and occasionally get a shot you like, you can point to an image and say "Check this one out!"

There's nothing wrong with being a "beginner" to photography. You're a "beginner" every time you shoot a new subject, a new style, under new conditions or with new equipment. Sure, you have the experience that came from similar situations in your past and you can make assumptions based on the "basics" of ISO, lighting source, focal length, aperture and shutter speed; but even shooting the exact same subject under different conditions can throw you some serious curves.

Emulate! Experiment! Just keep shooting!

Most of all... Enjoy doing it.