How to uncompress a JPEG file

jrmohan

<p>Dear Jai -</p>

<p>You are quite welcome. It doesn't take much effort to adhere to their rules, but the anecdotal stories certainly seem to say that acceptance of an image by them is a bit of a hit-or-miss affair. So, if you have some good images, you might consider giving it a try, expect to be rejected, but you may be pleasantly surprised. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" (... and all that...). :-)</p>

<p>Good luck,</p>

<p>Tom M.</p>

<p>Jai:<br /><br />I have lots of images with Alamy and it is absolutely worth the effort. They make good sales for me, sales I wouldn't make on my own. The rules are pretty clear and since they don't edit for content as long as your images are up to the technical specifications they will pass.<br /><br />How to do it will depend on what you're starting with. Which camera are you using?</p>

<p>Dear Mikael<br>

Thanks for your mail. I am using a Canon 50 D with EF S 17-85 mm (F4-5.6 ) and a EF 50F1.4<br>

lens. I shoot RAW converting to TIF and JPEG with Canon DPP software<br>

3.7.2.0 version. Look forward to your guidance.<br>

Regards<br>

Jai.</p>

<p>Jai:<br /><br />Do what you do, i.e shoot RAW. Convert the RAW file into a Tiff. Add no sharpening or anything else. I'm not familiar with DPP - I use Lightroom - so the functions might be different but should be similar. In my workflow I take the Tiffs and export them as jpgs, with the long side upsized to 5200 pixels. This gives me jpgs that are just a touch bigger than what Alamy requires. Your Tiff files (at 8 bit) should be roughly 49+megs after changing longest side to 5200 pixels. Most important is to not add sharpening or much of anything else.<br /><br />It's very easy once you get it all set up. Try it out and let us know if it works for you. Also note that your compressed jpgs will be a lot smaller than the 48megs required and that's perfectly in order.<br /><br />I've shifted to shooting with a couple of 7D cameras lately and those files need no upsizing at all unless cropped.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Dear Mikael<br>

Many thanks and sorry for the delayed acknowledgement.<br>

Have posted some images on the photo.net. ( find them under j r mohan ) Request your<br>

view and comments whenever you find time .<br>

Regards<br>

jai</p>