How to tell a potential client you don’t want to photograph their session?

Hi,

I’ve just recently started doing photography for more than just family. I work a full time job M-F, so only do scheduled sessions on the weekends.

So, I have a potential client issue. Let’s call her A.

A reached out to me and we were discussing dates to do a session. She offered a Thursday, I explained I only do sessions on the weekends because of my actual full time job. She never answered me after that. A few weeks go by, she reaches out again and we schedule a session. The morning of, literally 10 minutes before I left my house to go to said session, she texts me and cancels. She asks about another date, I kindly remind her again I have a full time job and do not do sessions during the week. She never replied to me.

Now, a few weeks later, she messages me AGAIN asking to schedule a session. To give her the benefit of the doubt and to help lengthen my portfolio, I asked her what day or time she had in mind.

As of now, no answer. Obviously, this isn’t working out. I’m trying to figure out 1) If I should even say no and 2) If I do, how do I say it?

I don’t want to lose a potential client and the chance to add to my new portfolio, but it’s incredibly annoying to go back and forth constantly with her.

Thoughts?

You might politely ask for a cash deposit in advance of the session which she would forfeit on short notice cancellation, but which otherwise would be deducted from final fee. Rationale - other jobs refused and missed if a client cancels with short notice. Depending on the estimated cost - a percentage, but not less than ($50-$100?) don't know your prices - needs to be enough that someone won't just write it off.
  • Like 2

Some clients have difficult lives and may have legitimate excuses for this kind of behavior, but others are simply not worth the bother. One way to deal with this is to get a deposit when the session is scheduled. Square, for example, allows you to send invoices to a client that they pay with a credit/debit card and you are notified when they have paid. If people have paid you something down they are usually more committed to to showing up and following through with the added bonus of taking you more seriously as a professional rather than a hobbyist. If your goal is to do this as a business then you need to treat it like one and get paid for your work. If someone blows off a session repeatedly then you may have turned down another client who would have shown up and paid you, so you have potentially lost something. And sometimes you have to "fire" a client when they are annoying and won't pay you enough to make up for the aggravation.
  • Like 2

You're just starting out. As important, and maybe more so, than your photographic skills, is a building of good will. Since her behavior has NOT caused you to turn down other work, that's not an earnest consideration for you. I understand it's a bother and an inconvenience, but it's not the end of the world. At this point, you obviously want her business more than she's desperate to give it to you. That dynamic is important to be realistic about when you're starting out. Keep being nice, polite, understanding and you'll eventually know whether she was serious to begin with or just a complete flake. When you're more established and busier, you'll have the luxury to impose deposits and even to turn down work for various reasons. In the meantime, patience and giving clients the benefit of the doubt is likely to serve you well. I doubt you'll let yourself get to the point of being abused. It's usually clear when a client is doing that. From your story, I don't think you're there yet. Remember, she's got friends and they've got friends. Right now, each person you deal with is worth dealing with as if she were the most pivotal and networked person alive.
  • Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Give her--or anyone else--times and dates that you're available. Ask for a deposit after you've settled on a rate(25% minimum). You need to nail commitment on their part. The client you've described? Forget about it. Think about opportunity cost and decide for yourself.

Don't be shy. Remember that art without commerce is just a hobby.

• Like 1

My gut feeling is that - with your full-time job - you're not the right photographer for 'A'

We can discuss 'A's mercurial behavior but my guess is that full-time professional photographers have more flexibility in assignments than you do. Why not jus refer her to photographers who have more flexibility than you do. Focus on customers who can schedule on weekends.

A deposit makes it about you. Right now, especially when you're starting out, I'd make it as much about the client as you can. Humility over hubris at this stage. It's ok to defer to your clients and especially to your potential clients. So far, A's behavior has only caused you emotional annoyance, no financial or physical inconvenience. Let it go and hope that you can still have a good working relationship with her. Think how she may respond to a request for deposit at this stage, considering you didn't ask for one before. I know how I would react, given what's already occurred. I'd take it as punitive and probably look for another photographer out of discomfort. (Given that I wouldn't act this way toward a photographer to begin with, of course, but I learned in business that clients are not all equally conscious and caring.)

"You talkin' to me?"

A deposit makes it about you. Right now, especially when you're starting out, I'd make it as much about the client as you can. Humility over hubris at this stage. It's ok to defer to your clients and especially to your potential clients. So far, A's behavior has only caused you emotional annoyance, no financial or physical inconvenience. Let it go and hope that you can still have a good working relationship with her. Think how she may respond to a request for deposit at this stage, considering you didn't ask for one before. I know how I would react, given what's already occurred. I'd take it as punitive and probably look for another photographer out of discomfort. (Given that I wouldn't act this way toward a photographer to begin with, of course, but I learned in business that clients are not all equally conscious and caring.)

This person is, simply put, a "crock," a would-be customer who enjoys wasting others' time as their non-functional routine suggests. There's no "working" relationship here to lose. Find some new prospects and move on. As Alan rightly observed, clients like this are never satisfied and often ultimately try to get something for nothing.

This person is, simply put, a "crock," a would-be customer who enjoys wasting others' time as their non-functional routine suggests.

So many assumptions here, it's hard to tackle them all. You're getting a second-hand story and judging the would-be client without foundation. Unless someone here bothers to ask the woman why she acted as she did, not one of us will ever know what she "enjoys" or doesn't.

In any case, regardless of how we armchair psychologists want to judge others through the eyes of a photographer we don't know on the Internet, this is a business question. My experience in running a graphic arts business for 30+ years was that I dealt with plenty of people who I knew rather well and determined were at least "crock-ish." I guess I liked to be flexible enough and appreciated the income enough that I learned my own coping mechanisms to deal with all sorts of behaviors I didn't consider ideal. Even the "crocks" wound up adding to the success of my business and gave me good stories to tell at home. I didn't take my working life terribly personally and knew that many working relationships I had would not be social relationships I'd necessarily choose in life.

I drew the line at non-payment. If a client didn't pay, I would not do work for them again. But odd behavior before a job started never swayed me from pursuing the potential opportunity. That kind of investment paid off.

Edited by samstevens

"You talkin' to me?"

One of the mistakes I think a lot of people entering a business-whether full time or as a way to supplement their hobby/make money is drastically underselling themselves.

No matter what your level, run your business like a business. In this case, deposits and/or cancellation fees are a pretty standard practice. After all, even if this is part time gig for you, you still blocked out time on a Saturday morning. What you would have used that time for-whether you turned down another paid job or were going to sleep in and spend the rest of the morning laying on your couch watching TV, you still planned a morning around it.

Being too flexible early on can set you up to being taken advantage of in the future.

• Like 2

Not quite sure how running a psychological consultancy dovetails profitably with the OP's ambitions.

Too bad you missed my point, which is that I didn't attempt to psychoanalyze potential clients as you have done in this thread. I merely adjusted to their behaviors and tried to do my best to get them to be paying clients. I didn't try to manipulate their behavior through deposits, especially at the beginning when I didn't have other business waiting in the wings. What part of this don't you understand?

"You talkin' to me?"

Being too flexible early on can set you up to being taken advantage of in the future.

Not if you're wise about it. Being flexible early on is about the most important quality you can develop. Being flexible doesn't mean being stupid, but it does mean being open to the many different personalities and even whims that come with public service. If you start out thinking you can dictate or manipulate the behavior of all your potential clients, good luck having success in business.

"You talkin' to me?"

Not if you're wise about it. Being flexible early on is about the most important quality you can develop. Being flexible doesn't mean being stupid, but it does mean being open to the many different personalities and even whims that come with public service. If you start out thinking you can dictate or manipulate the behavior of all your potential clients, good luck having success in business.

I've been in the situation before where I thought I was being "friendly" and "easy to work with" when I went over and above what was agreed to on a service. To an extent it's not a bad thing, but at the same time if you set that expectation early on it's hard to break away from it. In fact I had to "fire" one of my first customers(non-photography related sideline business) not too long ago because I made the mistake of letting them push early on and dealing with them became unstainable for what they asked vs. what I charged them.

• Like 1

I've been in the situation before where I thought I was being "friendly" and "easy to work with" when I went over and above what was agreed to on a service. To an extent it's not a bad thing, but at the same time if you set that expectation early on it's hard to break away from it. In fact I had to "fire" one of my first customers(non-photography related sideline business) not too long ago because I made the mistake of letting them push early on and dealing with them became unstainable for what they asked vs. what I charged them.

What I get from your post is that achieving some sort of balance between flexibility and prudence is the purview of a good small business.

To an extent it's not a bad thing

Right. I agree. And you want to be somewhat vigilant so as not to be taken advantage of.

I'm going on the info I have, that this is one of the OP's first business experiences. In my very early client encounters, I was mostly inclined to see how things played out before pre-judging them. That didn't involve investments in months of time or thousands of dollars, where I would have been much more cautious. The OP is not talking about such an investment of months or thousands. I'd be more inclined to let it play out and see where it goes, hoping for a good outcome. If it doesn't pan out, I wouldn't even see it as much of a lesson, because the next seemingly flaky client might just pay off.

There's nothing like where a good gut feeling can take you in business. If you can't trust your gut, might be worth working for someone else, which is no crime or shame.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Too bad you missed my point, which is that I didn't attempt to psychoanalyze potential clients as you have done in this thread. I merely adjusted to their behaviors and tried to do my best to get them to be paying clients. I didn't try to manipulate their behavior through deposits, especially at the beginning when I didn't have other business waiting in the wings. What part of this don't you understand?

The client's behavior as described by the OP--not you or drawn from your experience--is the basis of my opinion. He never got around to discussing rates or what the "client" wanted--and I suspect raising those matters earlier would have concluded this quickly with a deal or a walk.

Edited by c_watson|1

He never got around to discussing rates or what the "client" wanted--and I suspect raising those matters earlier would have concluded this quickly with a deal or a walk.

Yes. And you'll notice I didn't have a problem or even respond to your first post where you communicated that. I thought you made a good point.

But then you said what I've quoted below, which I thought was a step beyond, and you said it in response to me, so I thought I'd respond to you. Now, I hope we've both made our points clearly, even if we find we have a reasonable disagreement. I await the OP's response out of curiosity for what direction the OP will take.

This person is, simply put, a "crock," a would-be customer who enjoys wasting others' time as their non-functional routine suggests.

"You talkin' to me?"

Hi,

I’ve just recently started doing photography for more than just family. I work a full time job M-F, so only do scheduled sessions on the weekends . . .

Obviously, this isn’t working out. I’m trying to figure out 1) If I should even say no and 2) If I do, how do I say it?

I don’t want to lose a potential client and the chance to add to my new portfolio, but it’s incredibly annoying to go back and forth constantly with her.. . .

On the two specific questions that you ask:

1) If I should even say no: My view is that there are THREE Entities involved - You, her, and your Business. The first two have the ability of emotion and the third doesn't, moreover the third is reliant on YOUR actions for its survival. Your first duty is to your business and in some situations, the damage a Potential Client may do, will outweigh the pandering necessary to engage and keep that Prospect. On the face of what you write, mainly the fact you are just starting out, it is appears to me it is NOT the time to say "no", but rather seek to supply UCS (Ultimate Customer Service).

2) If I do, how do I say it?: The most suitable method I have found to address the blunt 'no' is something like, "At this time progressing discussions is not a suitable fit for the Business because [the times that the Business has available for Portrait Sessions cannot match your requirements]"

You being 'incredibly annoyed' is both irrelevant to the business conversation and is a burden to you making a clear and good business choices.

If you really don't want to lose this Prospect, then you have to negotiate to facilitate and close the sale. To that end, I see two main areas which need addressing:

1. Consider if it is impossible to shoot on a weekday (and most situations are really NOT "impossible").

2. The Prospect has to commit.

On the second point: Fiscal Commitment is a most powerful adhesive to a business deal. If you restructure your business to require Clients to make a "deposit" - I suggest that you investigate what consumer laws are applicable. My businesses do not request a 'deposit', they do request a 'Booking Fee' which allocates a specific time and day for the booking. This fee is deducted from the final account. The 'Fee' is forfeit by cancellation {x} days prior to the day. That's simply semantics, but under the law here, a "deposit" (for the service of making Photos), is treated differently to a "fee" (for the service of reserving an exclusive time and day to make

Photos).

Bottom line – my view is you are presently continuing a negotiation process with “A” and that process was predicated on the rules which your Business had at the time when this negotiation began: to change those rules, whilst in negotiation and for that change to be seen as a detriment or disadvantage to the Prospect should be very carefully considered, albeit for future prospects I suggest you put in place a procedure which limits this situation occurring again – to that end have a Booking Fee or similar.

Concerning “A” - she has cancelled an existing appointment to which she was committed and cancelled at time when you had prepped and packed and when you were ready to leave for the shoot: unless someone died, or similar, that’s inconsiderate. That makes for a break in these negotiations and we now start anew with another set of negotiations for another shoot. I am of the opinion the likelihood of subsequent cancellations are danger to your Business, to which, as already mentioned, is your first duty.

Therefore on the face of what is presented, the next scheduling of an appointment requires, from the outset, a Booking Fee or similar, politely and firmly explained to “A” which is to pay for the reservation of a time and date for the shoot, and which will be deducted from the total shoot fee, but is, of itself non-refundable.

The purpose of the long reply, which in essence agrees with Sandy’s comment, was to give detailed fabric which you could include in your presentation to “A”, in a polite, yet firm business manner.

WW

• Like 1