How to shoot Jewish Wedding?

eminavn

Please show perfect Jewish wedding pictures. I shoot one 3 days

ago

I know i have many mistakes and wrong angles but show me how to do it. (please

don't show me just a few good shoots - only whole wedding about 30-40 right

pictures) thanks

I have one I may post in a few days, (though it may be far from perfect) just not aure what you are asking. If you want 30-40 pictures of the "perfect Jewish wedding, I would think it should cover every important moment in the ceremony is all I was saying.

First of all anyone, seriously anyone, can take 1600 pictures and get 30-40 good ones. Thats only 1.87-2.5% of keepers. Thats down right terrible.

Have you shot any weddings before? If not, what kind of experiance do you have with a camera?

There is no such thing as a perfect weddig pictures. What one may find to be perfect someone else may not. You as a photographer-ARTIST you develope your style. I don't see how a Jewish wedding would differ then a Christian wedding as far as a photographers standpoint.

JC--Emin has shot weddings before and is miles ahead of many people starting in wedding photography. Emin--I would say there is no such thing as a perfect Jewish wedding because 1) There are different kinds of Jewish weddings based on sect--Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, etc., and on region, and 2) Photographers' styles can be applied to Jewish weddings the same as it can for any other kind of wedding. What kind of "mistakes" and "wrong angles" are you talking about? While it helps to know what is going to happen and what the importance of certain acts are, it also is sometimes refreshing to photograph everything with a fresh eye. However, you should cover all the highlights of the wedding. Ben Rubinstein, who posts here often, photographs Jewish weddings. Maybe have a look at his images and posts, or even ask him for info.

Hi Emin, if you specify what type of Jewish wedding as Nadine has mentioned, maybe I can help you a bit better, I photograph for the traditional through to ultra orthodox and chassidic market but know nothing about conservative (they don't really exist in the UK) or reform Jewish weddings.

Your pictures look like they are from a traditional Jewish wedding, the important thing with this kind of wedding and the way that it differs substantially from any other kind, is the amount of ceremony and traditions which will happen through the course of the day. I don't have time to write an exhaustive list, it will vary, often quite a bit, between different types of Orthodoxy with the Sephardic traditions being totally different to the Chassidic for example. The best idea if you are not already familiar with the various traditions, customs and ceremonies is to sit down with the parents/couple and go through the day in exhaustive detail. Then do the same thing with the Rabbi who will be performing the ceremony.

Other than that there are things to watch out for that sometimes happen and sometimes do not, certain parts of the ceremony or a certain tradition will envoke emotions from certain of the guests. The blessings by the parents which you have captured extensively are just an example. Again, speak to the parents, attend a few ceremonies at your local Synagogue till you get a 'feel' for anticipating reactions and moments.

Your style may slightly 'too PJ' for many of your clientele, I mix a more traditional approach to my documentary wedding photographic style with a more arty approach, the more Orthodox you go the more 'conservative' and traditional your clients will be. It is always a good idea to capture the main bits in a slightly less 'modern' style as well as the ultra wide angle funky directions so that you have a good choice. Of course if you are hired for your PJ style then go for it! The old photo editors desperate cry 'faces, show me the damn faces' still applies, especially with the ceremony.<div>00HGyn-31140984.jpg.05d537ac93870cdcfb4cc7be3920a204.jpg</div>

Not that I practice what I preach of course...

I love that dark pic in the trees! The pics of the two of them are fine, if that is the style you are hired to shoot then why should it be any different? The more orthodox you go of course the less 'relaxed' the couple are for this style of shooting so make sure you have a good repetoire of traditional poses as well! My suggestion of making sure you have some more regular style shots applies mainly to the ceremonial parts.<div>00HGzC-31141284.jpg.c206c31eeaf773cb4553b42e518acec9.jpg</div>

I'm sorry Emin, I don't think there is an 'average' Jewish wedding, there is average for a certain type of Jew at a certain level of observance, but there really isn't a list I could give you that would really prepare you for it in that each item on the list would need a hundred annotations!

I think it might be important to know when to tone down the 'funky' during the religous parts of the wedding. Just as pictures in the church reflect the ambience and solemnity of the ceremony, so too with Jewish weddings. Certain parts of the ceremony are happy and joyful, certain are solemn. You shoot with the mood really!

Unfortunately these moments can change from wedding to wedding. For example the 'Bedeken' cermony, the covering of the bride with the veil, the first time the Groom has seen the Bride in a week, has many solemn religous and kabbalistic significances (according to tradition the souls of your future children are there at that moment and one should pray for them). Depending on how informed the couple are of that and their attitude, this moment can be tearful or solemn or happy (as in your wedding) or nervous or even extremely nervous (as in Chassidic weddings where the couple have hardly met prior to the wedding). How you portray the bedeken is dependant on that mood. Your style was perfect for that obviously happy and even radient B&G, it would be entirely unsuitible for other people. You really just have to go with the flow! The Chupa is the same thing, try to convey some seriousness, the prayers and nervousness, that is what a Chupa is really meant to be about. But of course capture the delight in the look shared between the couple the moment after the ring has gone on...

Hope I'm helping not hindering!

Emin--for instance, in Reform Jewish weddings, the veiling is not included and the bit where they retire by themselves after the ceremony may or may not be done. The important things are the signing of the marriage contract, the wine and ring exchange and the breaking of the glass during the ceremony, and the chair dancing and traditional dancing during the reception. During the ceremony processional, the groomsmen and bridesmaids each come up the aisle by themselves, and the groom and bride are accompanied by their parents. They stand opposite of Christian weddings, sometimes. I photograph mostly Reform weddings--I've never photographed an Orthodox wedding and only a few Conservative weddings, where the veiling was included. Rabbis range from letting you photograph anything from anywhere to letting you photograph only a few images, all without flash, from way back. The best thing to do is do some research on the customs, then ask a lot of questions. Go to the rehearsal if you can. Then just document as you always do.

Emin, from what I see in your portfolio is an excellent capture of a beautiful bride done with professional class. Well done and you have a singular vision; there is no doubt you certainly know what you are doing and are skilled compositionally. You could shoot any wedding -- Jewish, Catholic, Animist, or Pagan -- I would wager!

Emin, I still don't quite understand your question, but ben and nadine offered great advice. I would think as they said, speaking with the couple before about what goes on during the ceremony and also just generally trying to capture everything that goes on ceremonial just as you would with any wedding.

With an Orthodox wedding men dance with men and women dance with women only. They do not dance as couples; men and women together. The reception room is usually split down the center of the room, men on one side and women on the other, with a tall divider decorated with flowers. So if you book one of these types of weddings it is wise to have 2 photographers, one for each side. That way you won't miss anything important.

As Ben said you may need to tone it down and make sure you get all of the traditional wedding shots. Mainly the family shots. Do everything, kids alone, parents, kids together, grandparents, everyone together, just about every combination you can thing of and always ask them what else do they want.

Again, with Orthodox weddings the bride and groom will not kiss, hold hands, no first dance, stuff like that, so be careful not to force hand holding or something like that. Another thing to remember is NEVER touch a lady, like move her slightly, or adjust the hand of the bride to get a ring shot.

You are a very good photographer, and as Nadine and Ben say, do your homework with the rabbi and the parents and of course as about the rules. Jewish weddings are really a lot of fun and hard work. Normally I usually shoot about 300 to 400 shots at a basic wedding, but with an Orthodox wedding 1500 shots is about right for 2 photographers.

Not sure if this helps, but I'm just trying to give advice on Orthodox weddings, because they are long, rewarding, and slightly different as far as style goes.

J. C. please take a look at Emins work. He has a wonderful style. People can learn a lot from his wide angle approach to weddings including myself. I'm always eager to learn to styles from people like Emin.

I so enjoyed looking at your photographs ... i'd love to be given the opportunity to photograph such a celebration.

You captured a real sense of family and community in the faces. Loved it for that fact alone. Well Done.

Emin, I'm not a wedding photographer, but I can certainly recognize beautiful work when I see it. Great application of your unique style to an unfamiliar situation.

Ben, just a word about Jewish movements here in the U.S. and abroad. Conservative Judaism is similar to Masorti in the U.K. and many other parts of the world. Likewise, Reform is the equivalent of Liberal in the U.K. and elsewhere.

Very interesting thread.