How to shoot a 700 mph rocket sled?

ryancarter

I am going to an Air Force test of an ejection seat tomorrow. I

will be about 700 ft from the track, in the middle and perpendicular

to the track. The rocket sled runs the track and launches a dummy

in the air with a parachute. The whole test should take about 3-4

seconds on the sled and then the dummy and parachute falling.

Anyone ever shot something like this? If so what did you use for

the lens and what type of settings did you use? Anyone have any

suggestions? This is a one-time event. No redoes.

My friend shot the successful LSR attempt of Richard Noble at Black Rock for some French magazines. He was further away and hand-held his camera with a high shutter-speed and motor at the fastest setting (still had plenty of blur which was good in this context). I'd pre-focus on the tracks/sled, use the highest shutter-speed and frame-rate you have (DOF won't matter and shallow would be best anyway). A tripod might help keep the pan level and smooth. Don't shoot too tight or you won't get the ejection in the frame, which is the subject I believe. Maybe even shoot vertical.

Ryan, the view from the side of such tests has been done, often. Try to get permission to stand in the track itself and get shots of the sled coming toward you, with the rockets' plumes billowing all around it. THAT would be a heckuva shot.

More seriously, if you will be 700 feet from the track, you're probably okay with manual focus (infinity or darn near it) and a 300mm lens. The sled will start and end a lot farther from you than 700 feet, and get as close as 700 feet briefly as it passes by in front of you.

When I suggest a 300mm lens I'm assuming the use of 35mm equipment because it's hard to get long enough lenses for this sort of shoot if the cameras are medium format or large format.

The ejection seat should get quite high over the track before beginning the parachure descent back to the ground, and if you want the whole scene in the frame with the sled going THATAWAY and the seat going up THISAWAY, you'd need a wider angle. Maybe a 70-200 or 80-200 lens in that case.

Be well,

Thanks for all the comments. I didn?t expect so many. You have given me some ideas. And Adrian, that is funny because this test is on top of a red mesa called Smith?s Mesa. I am in Southern Utah?red rock country. I will start to get nervous if I see any ACME logos around.

I will try to post the results of my efforts by the weekend if you are interested in seeing the pics.

Thanks again.

<blockquote>Gerald W. Litynski , feb 23, 2005; 08:39 p.m.<br />

I'd suggest a 60mm or 85mm lens, focus on the track, and prepare to use the motor drive on high for about 20 seconds.

</blockquote>

<p>That's a mighty long roll of film!</p>

Terrific photo, Ryan. Thanks for coming back to the thread to post results. That is something very, very few folks take time to do. I, for one, appreciate seeing how these sorts of tricky situations work out.

One fascinating aspect of the test that you captured well: the actual angle of climb for the ejection seat is very shallow, even though it would feel (to a pilot) like a sudden and almost vertical event. When you're moving forward at 1,200 or 1,300 feet per second, an ejection seat has a nearly flat initial trajectory.

What focal length(s) did you wind up using?

Be well,

Jim,

The chute opened very quickly. The dummy went up maybe 70-80 ft and then came straight back down and landed in the water between the tracks. I ended up using my 70-200 lens and it was shot at about 90. I was so nervous that I wouldn't be able to track the sled, I decided to go wide to ensure I got it. The picture I posted was cropped by about two thirds. The people that run the test site liked the shot so much they are going to use some of my photos for promotion, and they are going to invite me back on some future tests. That will give a chance to try some new tatics. Thanks for the comments.

• 4 weeks later...