how to photograph a projected

fiona_stokes

hi, i am trying to photograph an image that has been projected onto 4 people (band) but i shot it last

week and using the dvd projector as the only light source it is very dark so I ended up shooting (using a

canon 20D) at 1600 iso at 1/25, f3.2 and of course the shots look very soft. is there anyway you think i

could light them more? (they were dark colours as well which doesnt really help!) a flash will take away

the effect of the projector that they want, but im just not sure what to do to get the image looking

crisper, because they will want to print these large, so they need to be sharp.

any feedback or help would be appreciated! thanks

Get a real slide from the image to be projected. Take a old slide projector (yard sale?) and cobble your flash as a lightsource into it. Sure there are projection spotlights for strobe systems around too, but who can afford those?

I'd grab a inexpensive projector without mags and would replace the condenser with some white diffusors. If you're handy you might be able to keep the whole continous light system of the projector for focusing

Can't judge from the small jpeg, but there is no inherent reason why the shots should look soft. Is your lens soft at f/3.2? Was there camera shake? Was the focus off? To me the lighting seems to be working okay.

Try using a tripod and longer exposure time. Just ask the people to hold still, and you can do for example 1/8 or 1/4 s. This allows for smaller ISO and aperture.

You might want to check that the light doesn't cut off their hands. The posing and their expressions seems a bit stiff and forced.

Overlaying the image in postprocessing doesn't do the trick. It won't look the same.