How to Impress a Professional Photographer?

jschmitzphotos

<p>I've been trying to get some type of job with a professional photographer (weddings/portraits) for 2 months now and not getting much of a response. One photographer was very gracious and agreed to meet and just talk about getting in the business. She gave me a lot of great tips, but unfortunately it was more along "how to start your business" than "how to be hired as an assistant."</p>

<p>I realize I am not the best on-paper choice: seriously started photography last Dec, no formal training, dont have the best DSLR (Pentax K2000), but I've been immersing myself in the field and actively teaching myself as much as possible. I would love to have a mentor and I see many people mention how great theirs was, so how do I find one?</p>

<p>So far I've been calling great wedding photographers in my area of San Diego and describing what I love about their work, explaining why I love photography, and asking if they would like an assistant to hold lights, carry bags, fix a wedding dress, etc. (I realize some people think this is a waste of time if I want to learn, but I worry that if I ask for anything more--in this recession and my lack of schooling--they will instantly decline). I'm obviously hoping that after a while I will pick up some technique and hopefully grow in their business. Their response is either: not looking, I'm flattered--I'll look into it (with no further call back), or get some schooling first. I've done follow up emails thanking them for their time, a link to my portfolio, but no response.</p>

<p>I'm starting to network on facebook and I follow several blogs and comment on what I like, hoping my name will get out there. I'm going to a head shot exchange to meet other photographers and I'm getting my friends together this weekend to hold faux engagement shoots.</p>

<p>Hopefully I'm coming across as a serious photographer. One studio was actually looking for assistants and the owner was impressed with my initiative, but ultimately did not hire me.</p>

<p>Here is my portfolio (I also have some in my photo.net portfolio): jschmitzphotos.pullfolio.com<br>

The site is pretty basic, if that is hurting me please let me know. Also, I know I need more photos and am<br>

actively working on that. Some are taken with my P&S (should I remove all P&S photos?).</p>

<p>After reading my post and looking at my portfolio, can anyone give me critique/advice on what I'm missing? As a professional, what would hold you back from hiring me? What can I work on to change your mind?</p>

<p>Hi Jaclyn,<br>

First of all, I admire your initiative and feel that it will serve you well in the long run. For now though, I think that you need to take more time to learn your craft before professionals will take you seriously.<br>

The first thing I noticed, being a food photographer myself, is that you need to pull that food photo off of your site because it's very poorly composed and lit. Food photography is one of the most difficult aspects of photography to learn, and since it doesn't appear to be the area you're interested in, I'd pull it.<br>

Second, I think that you have a good beginner's eye for portraits, so I would start by working with that. What I feel you need to study is lighting. Alot of your subjects are either too shaded or poorly lit, and lighting is critical to photography. When you're looking for an assistant job down the road, one of the things assistants often do is set up lights or hold reflectors, and you need to know how to do that so that the photographer isn't having to coach you. Lighting takes alot of work and practice to learn, so read as much as you can, take classes, and practice, practice, practice!<br>

On the subject of education, there are many ways to learn. You don't need to spend years at one of the big photography schools (although if you can afford it, more power to you!) to learn the craft. There are online classes, community college classes, and many web resources including right here on photo.net.<br>

Are you using your camera in manual mode? Are you comfortable with adjusting your shutter speed, aperture, white balance, etc.? If you are, then great! That's how you should be working with your camera in order to learn. Also, what lenses and other equipment are you working with?<br>

You're very new to photography if you just started seriously getting into it four months ago, so take some time to just enjoy it, build your portfolio, and learn everything you can. Then down the road you'll have more experience and a better portfolio to show people, and hopefully the economy will be turning around by then as well.<br>

By the way, I do love your water spray shot of the girl in the pool!</p>

<p>Jaclyn,<br>

Why do you wish to be an assistant rather than shoot yourself on your own? If this is a case of confidence, how about offering free help rather than looking for paid assistantships?<br>

I looked at your profile. There were no bad shots there. You seem to have an understanding of composition within portraiture.<br>

People would care little what equipment you used when they look at the result. I wouldn't advertise the fact that you have used point and shoot cameras, however, if you can use this tool to get acceptable images, there is no need to delete these images.<br>

I think you are lacking in confidence. Request to cover a friend or family's wedding or baptism at no extra charge. Don't get in the way of the main photographer. Talk to the main photographer and see what advice they have for you. Then, once you have all the advice in the world and one or two assignments under your belt, go solo! Good luck.</p>

<p>The first 10,000 photographs are the toughest! I've been at this over thirty years and am still learning every day. I don't think anyone can truly absorb the oddly contradictory concepts that dominate our craft in a matter of months. My guess is you're a little too green for them to take on. Your site yields two or three really nice looking images yet the balance only reinforces your lack of experience.<br>

If I were you, I'd spend your energy developing technique - polish and confident images. You need to shoot, shoot and then shoot some more! When your not taking photos spend your time looking at them, critically, as each published shot has a reason to exist.<br>

Your site is a great start - but you have too few botanical's (2) and food (1) to warrant my visit.<br>

I could interpret this also to lack of judgment and experience - not good. (remove the pages until they can be filled).<br>

In addition, have you every seen a food shot that looked like the one you chose?<br>

The folks you are speaking with know they are hiring a potential competitor, that's ok, they have to believe that you know enough to be useful - my guess is your sounding pretty defensive with them - thinking energy and desire will make the difference - it won't.<br>

Slow down - it takes time to develop skills and understanding. One of two things will happen, one you'll get a position, or two you get good enough to not need it. Either way it's a win win.<br>

g</p>

<p>Thank you for your help Devon! I've removed the food photo.</p>

<p>I've been practicing with natural light and I've read a lot about using reflectors and the system of lighting a portrait, but have no experience with the equipment. </p>

<p>I'm not completely comfortable in full manual mode, I use Aperture and Shutter priority mode. I've read a lot about what to do to get the proper exposure based on ISO, shutter speed, aperture, and the light, so I'll try going manual to get more practice. I'll admit I've been shooting RAW and underexposing so I can fix the white balance later (since I'm worried about blown highlights) but I'll focus more on getting it right in camera.</p>

<p>I'm using the kit lens', 18-55mm f3.5 and 50-200mm f4, with a AF360FGZ flash. I know I need better lenses and should probably exchange my Pentax for a Canon. But I'm hoping I can get really good with what I have, and eventually earn enough later to upgrade.</p>

<p>Thanks for all your advice. My husband has been pressuring me to call as many place as possible, but I've been seriously worried about improving my portfolio and that I'm not up to snuff yet to contact people, which is why I started this thread. I think I should focus on getting some other part time work and practice more.</p>

<p>Starvy: Thanks for your comments. The issue is definitely confidence. Especially after reading so much about how people learned more with their mentor than any school, I really would like that. I've offered to work for free, even as far as "I'll take photos on the sidelines, you can use them or trash them, I'd just like more experience."</p>

<p>Gary: Thanks for your insight. I've been trying to show my best; I'll work on getting more great photos in one setting. I've tried to be very open about the skills I lack and my drive to learn, which I thought was what was needed as an assistant (photographer's asst, not asst. photographer) so I've definitely been going in the wrong direction!</p>

<p>I'll keep on practicing! Thanks everyone for letting me know what is lacking in my photos.</p>

<p>Jaclyn,<br>

While I have not seen any of your images, several things come to mind after reading the comments posted by others. As an employer, I would choose confidence over technique. I can teach almost anyone to do things my way. May I suggest you spend your time learning to do a few things very well. This alone will build your confidence. Learn what the equipment you have will allow you to do and then do it well. One who says they can fix improper exposure later would never make it in my business because I feel if you do not take the time to do it right the first time, then how will you ever find the time to do it over. Generally, we as photographers are always looking for that magic lens or just the right prop to make life rosy, when in reality, using what you have and using it well gets the job done. I don't think it would hurt to approach some of the photographers a second or a third time with your offer. It establishes your desire, shows persistence on your part and might allow them to see how you have grown as a technician and artist. <br>

Best wishes on your road to success.<br>

David R. Lewis</p>

<p><em><strong>"My husband has been pressuring me to call as many place as possible, but I've been seriously worried about improving my portfolio and that I'm not up to snuff yet to contact people, which is why I started this thread. I think I should focus on getting some other part time work and practice more."</strong></em><br>

<br>

IMO, your Husband is correct. <br>

You are putting the cart before the horse.<br>

You are attempting to be an "up to snuff" Photographer BEFORE you get a foot in the door.<br>

If you do need a job and it seesm you have the guts and determination . . . then go get a job in the industry . . . anything related to Photography . . . Advertizing, Model Agency Aerial Photography who cares? - Get a job as a Secretary or Girl Friday . . . then you have a foot in the door . . . then you will get to know people by their first name.<br>

<br>

Watch Listen and Learn.<br>

<br>

WW <br>

<br>

(I have not looked at your portfolio - I need to get to a gig - maybe later)</p>

<p > </p>

<p>I have not worked as an assistant nor am I a professional [photographer, but I have worked in contract and service industries for twenty years. In my experience people will take on assistants for different reasons: some are overloaded and want an assistant with experience to take on tasks that can free their time to do what they see as important and they are not likely to want to spend time teaching the assistant the ropes. Others may take on an assistant to do simple things (place lights, make the tea, answering the phone, booking apponitments) and the assistant learns by overhearing and watching. Others still are happy to take on a newbie (almost as if they want company through the day) and if they get on well actively teach the assistant a thing or two.<br>

So not only do you have to find people who <em>want</em> an assitant, you have to find people who are looking for <em>the things you can offer so </em>the potential avenues shrink at each stage. You also need to make sure you are calling them on the day they realise they need your services (when you called them last week they were busy and too distracted to remember that they really needed help the previous Wednesday). And this means persistence and repeat calls. So everytime you contact them, ask if it is OK to call them in a couple of months to see if their situation has changed - you may eventually call them on a day that their regular has called in sick. Persistence really does pay in this sort of business and I have got 2 good career breaks doing just that.<br>

So who should you call? The well-reputed professional will probably have their own working style and if that involves an assistant they would already have one - certainly call them but more in hope than anything and wait for the lucky break. I would be tempted to look for a pro who is just starting out and who would welcome steady support while they get to grips with the bedlam of private contracting. Though you may need to work for free first of all.</p>

<p>I read one thread on this topic about a year ago where someone outlined what working as an assistant can mean - unpredictable hours, sometimes menial jobs, getting to the studio two hours before the professional so all the gear is ready for when the pro arrives, being able to manage multiple tasks etc. As WW pointed out, I have read of several pros who got into the industry 'by the back door' from jobs in advertising or magazines so they were either lucky or had a 'grand plan'.</p>

<p>You make your own luck and from what you said in your first post, I think you have what it takes to work it out. Good luck.</p>

<p><strong><em>"I was getting the impression from this thread (and others) that people want someone with experience."</em></strong><br>

</p>

<p >Yes that impression is correct - that is what is said on threads. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >And Photographers take on Assistant Photographers who have experience - <em >very rarely do they take on an <strong >Assistant Photographer</strong> with little or no experience</em>, I agree.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I am looking at the solution for you . . . you are looking at being an Assistant Photographer first up.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >You can go that road if you wish, but IMO in this economic climate that will be more difficult than my suggestion- Just one person's opinion. But we cut our staff by 50% in the last 12 months. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I don't suggest I know exactly what is right for you - I can only draw on my experience and the market here and related that to you.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I still haven't looked at you pics - I have just arrived home - its 2215 and am about to eat -yes the hours are odd and there are more of them to cover, with fewer staff.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Mike Hitchen has given you excellent advice about how to sell your self and some techniques in doing just that.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW</p>

<p > </p>

<p>While I agree with pretty much everything that has been suggested so far, I would most certainly add another dimension:</p>

<p>True, people may want someone to assist in pretty much everything these days and for that purpose they are unlikely to choose someone who is ONLY good at photography. They need to see a well rounded set of skills, including interpersonal skills (which usually come out during the interview/meeting), project management skills, in-depth knowledge of the way a shoot is organised and conducted, good working knowledge of their expected role and even proposals/ideas of something new, something innovative you could add to the photographer's way of doing things!</p>

<p>For example, some time ago, while talking with an accomplished photographer about DAM workflows, I happened to mention my approach and, even though the guy has already forgotten more about photography than I will ever learn (!!!) he offered me a contract there and then just so I can implement, organise and run that part of his business. You can imagine how much photographic experience I gained from that project...</p>

<p>So, learn about photography in its ENTIRETY, not just the technical details - that way you can make yourself more useful to the photographer. The way the economy is right this minute photographers are more concerned with saving money than they are with imparting knowledge - sad, but true. However, wedding season is coming and chances are some will need assistance, so keep at it..;-))))</p>

<p>Jaclyn,<br>

While equipment doesn't necessarily make the photographer, your unwillingness to sacrifice and invest in better gear, especially lighting gear, also says something about how serious you really are.<br>

Personally, I do not believe that working in a photo store will help you (something I considered years ago). What will help you and impress people, including pros, is to develop a much more extensive portfolio (your photos are perfectly pleasant, but don't reach out and grab the viewer in a professional sense), learn the fundamentals really well (can you set your camera manually for open shade without a meter? Can you figure out fill flash on manual? Can you pose people quickly?). <br>

And you have to be willing to invest. The Pentax 360 flash is amateur only--it's underpowered, does not swivel, and cannot take a power pack. If you put a diffusion device on it you won't have any power left. It's not suitable as a main flash at a wedding. You may or may not earn enough later to upgrade--don't use chicken-or-egg logic. Go out and get at least one fast lens. If you wait for the 50-200 to focus in low light at the long end, the moment will be passed. <br>

If you wish to be some photographer's secretary, that's one thing, but if you want to shoot, you have to show much more versatility. One thing I did to build my portfolio was to rent studio space, figure out studio lighting, and shoot friends for free. A lot of them. <br>

Scott</p>

<p>Definitely some good advice, and looking at your site, you have some good pics of portraits/landscapes. Some could be better lit/composed, not a big fan of the closeup of the guy with the sunglasses on at a beach or the swimmer w/goggles, those look more like snapshots than 'portraits'. Practice and learn, get comfortable shooting in full manual mode. I'd not worry yet about buying new gear, but learn to use what you have to the fullest. Pick up a good book on photography from the local library and learn all about ISO/Aperture/Shutter speed/Etc.. Good luck!</p>

<p>there is no one way to do this, you should rely on your own guts and determination. your photos seem quite adequate to me, added lighting is something you learn over time, as with all photography (and any other profession) experimentation gains you knowledge, you learn from the unintended successes and failures. look around and develop your own style, that is continually exciting to you (hence easier to maintain), and will get and keep customers. you should be aware that the advice imparted from professionals here (which I am not), comes from their own style and experience, use it wisely, it should not supplant your own unique vision. </p>

<p>I don't necessarily think you should take out the P&S shots. I just looked, and if some of the ones on there are P&S shots, they are fine.</p>

<p>You are not missing anything. It is just a tough market now. There are a ton of people just like you when it comes to wanting to get into shooting weddings and portraits, particularly young women. Where they may not be like you, and where you can stand out is in your ability to show how you can benefit the pro, and not the other way around. Most people that ask me about assisting and second shooting are approaching it totally from their perspective, and when talking to a pro, even say that they want to assist or second shoot because they want to learn everything about shooting from someone who has been successful in the field so that they can go out and eventually start their own business.</p>

<p>While honest, what this kind of statement tells me is that the person sees me only as a brain drain opportunity. I know perfectly well that the ultimate goal is for you to go out and start your own business. This isn't the point. The point is--tell me how you can be an asset to me that no one else will have. Tell me how loyal and hard working you are--how you can make every job easier for me. That you have excellent people skills and enthusiasm, that you can help me with marketing on Facebook, that you can tell me how young people think these days, and how they communicate. That you have an open mind (no ego) and are mature. And be like a bulldog with a chew toy in her teeth--persistent but nicely so.</p>

<p>I personally don't use assistants or second shooters, but if I did, I would certainly notice someone who approched me this way.</p>

<p><strong>Jaclyn</strong>, you certainly aren't lacking in the confidence and desire departments. That much comes across loud and clear. By your own admission, you've been serious about photography for five whole months, have no experience to speak of, and no education.While your pictures are good for where you're at, the portraits are so-so with light control.</p>

<p> In an economic depression like this one, there are many people with educations, experience, references, etc., who can do a job on their own competently if needed, are willing to sweep, go-fer, take out the trash and make coffee -- and they don't need to be taught.</p>

<p> It is obvious you want to fast- (no, make that lightning) track your way up (who doesn't?), but what do you bring to the table besides confidence and desire?</p>

<p> The photographers you have spoken with already have given you sage advice. I know it wasn't what you wanted to hear but you should consider it. Start doing portraits and weddings on your own to get some practice and an idea as to whether you <em>really</em> want to do this or not. There's a chance you can pull this off. You have support from your husband, so it's not like you're taking a huge financial gamble. A lot of pro work is sales and marketing. I've seen people, many of them nowhere as lean and hungry as you, and with a similar lack of experience build successful businesses -- and later hire assistants who were much better than they, and with MFAs to teach them what they didn't know. The notion of getting an education seems like an eternity compared to getting under someone's wing in five months, but it's not a bad idea.</p>

<p> You should offer to <em>volunteer </em>your time to any of these photographers who have turned you down, and try to enter into the social circle (in real life, not Facebook!). This way you may have an in from an angle that few are willing to develop, and at least have some access to advice now and then. Every time one mentors someone, they are putting their reputations on the line. Become the kind of mentee' who can enhance a mentor's rep.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Please note that I did <em><strong>NOT</strong></em> mention seeking work in a <strong><em>Photo Store.</em></strong></p>

<p>I mentioned seeking work in the <strong><em>Photography Industry </em></strong>- and the examples I cited would have working Professional Photographers about as a matter of course - not necessarily Wedding Photographers, but working Professional Photographers whom you could observe, with whom you could interact and create Rapport.</p>

<p>In regard to your Portfolio, there is nothing wrong with clean shots - we can debate artistic merit until midnight – your images are substantially clean, well exposed, I would not remove any of the Portrait Images there.<br>

<br />WW</p>

<p>Jaclyn, from an equipment standpoint there's nothing particularly wrong with a Pentax K2000. Even though Canon and Nikon have a larger 'pro' lineup, Pentax still makes good equipment offering good value for the money. As already mentioned, there may be some benefit to improving your flash and getting at least one faster lens. On Pentax & on a budget, you might consider a Tamron 28-75/2.8 (new, $460, used=?) or Sigma 24-60/2.8 EX (used, ~$250-350).</p>

<p>Mike: Thanks for your guidance. Hopefully when I get more education I will be able to call those places back and change their minds.</p>

<p>William: Thanks for giving me such personalized advice. I will look up places that have actual working photographers and see if I can get my foot in there (my mistake about the photo store, my wedding photographer worked there so I assumed they had some kind of program for photographers).</p>

<p>Marios: Very good point about offering more than photographic experience. I never thought of mentioning skills that could help their overall business.</p>

<p>Scott: Thanks for your straightforward advice. I definitely want to learn how to use the lighting equipment, but at the moment I've been practicing natural light techniques, which is no excuse. I would love to have better lenses and will be trying to upgrade in the future to show more of my seriousness.</p>

<p>Nathan: Thanks Nathan for your honest critique of my photos. I've been studying online tutorials but last night I bought some books on exposure, composition, on-camera flash, and wedding portraiture. Hopefully next time you see me I'll have some more professional shots to share!</p>

<p>Carey: Thank you for your insight. I will keep practicing and honing my own point of view.</p>

<p>Nadine: Thank you for laying out exactly what would impress you.</p>

<p>Luis: I didn't realize being a photographer's assistant meant I was hopping on the lighting track to photography. You and everyone else have shown me that I need much more than a decent eye and willingness to learn and do what it takes. Thanks for your insight and giving me a bit of hope that I can do it eventually, I just need to take a breath and practice more.</p>

<p>Andrew: Thanks for the advice on what equipment to buy. I will check them out.</p>

<p>Again, thank you everyone for all of your advice, criticism, and insight. I was getting ahead of myself and I just need to take a breather and work on improving. There is so much competition out there--thank you for giving me tips on how to become a better asset. I'm really glad I found this forum!</p>

<p>Jaclyn, I'm not a pro (never profited from a photo before), but I would like to comment on your portfolio:<br>

There are a few images that, amongst some great ones, didn't look that great. If I were to improve that portfolio, I'd pull #2 (watch the lines in the background), #7 (lighting isn't great, look at the bottom right corner (distractions)) and #8 (again, the light just isn't that good). These are for your Portraits portfolio.</p>

<p>Now, your Places portfolio:<br>

#0 — Good light, nice clouds, simplicity<br>

#1 — The blowout is distracting and ruins the photo<br>

#2 — Again, blown out highlights make it really harsh on the eyes, especially with the leaves being where they are<br>

#3 — Dull foreground lighting and I wouldn't've cut out those leaves on the top right<br>

#4 — Good composition, light's alright<br>

#5 — I would make this one a monochrome and pull #4 — I wouldn't advise having 2 versions of the same photo in a portfolio (a portfolio, IMO, should be for your very best photos)<br>

#6 — Composition is lacking & I don't get a message<br>

#7 — Nice, but didn't impress me<br>

#8 — I would've put the tree on the left a bit further to the right, because right now the gap looks almost like a mistake. It's the first place my eye went to. Good lighting in this one.</p>

<p>It appears from your comments that you've been prudent in your attempts up to this point.</p>

<p>What you might consider before or instead of the assistant idea is finding one or more <strong>mentors</strong>. Sure, you will find mentor suggestions on forums. However, working with a mentor in-person is a way to move a bit (or alot) more quickly, and without the need for communicating via posts, pm's, or emails.</p>

<p>Find mentors in your area! Be careful if repeating what one mentor or photographer has suggested to someone else that you regard as experienced, or another mentor. Some <strong>will</strong> take this as criticism or something else-rather than a reasonable comparison of techniques or methods-which may be your intent (for mentioning it) in the first place. I really enjoy collecting technical suggestions from multiple people about a topic, though people can be <strong>very</strong> sensitive if they feel that they are being compared, or sized-up compared with their peers.</p>

<p>I may get pummeled for saying this, professional photographers can have huge egos that get in the way of relationships (or assistants). And, one unfortunate roadblock to working with a Pro is their resisting a relationship-developing someone that may turn into the competition in their city or field of work. Keep in mind, that many an assistant have attempted to 'steal' clients, or contacts, and this is very unfortunate!!! Learn from others, and certainly don't take anything that is not offered openly/freely. You can ask any number of working people in various professions about this, including CPA's. If more of us operated fairly, or with a high level of respect for others, the world would be a better place.</p>

<p>Have fun on your journey!</p>