How to get Primo Jr TLR taking lens unscrewed

steve_mareno1

I bought a cute little Primo Jr TLR today, and need to get the taking lens unscrewed to clean the oil off the shutter blades. I don't have my tool in front of me to unscrew the back element, which has a retainer w/ the usual two notches to put a spanner into, and the front optics have the outer rings that need a mouse pad or something to grip and turn (there are no notches in the front retainers).

The curved front element protrudes out a lot, and I was wondering if anyone had a backyard approach to getting the optics unscrewed w/o the mouse pad or something like it?

DSCF0423.thumb.JPG.026392cdc182e6f40662aa6b75aab15d.JPG

Many will use a hollow drain stopper that will fit the trim ring without touching the glass. I use the end of a rubber strap wrench. Even pressure helps. A little nail polish remover or light weight oil along the outer edge of the trim ring may help in removing it. Thread locker- nail polish remover; corrosion- oil.

I couldn't find a drain stopper the right size, but I did find my spanner tool. So I took the path of least resistance and unscrewed the rear element, swapped the shutter blades w/ lots of lighter fluid, and thoroughly cleaned up the residue. Took about15 or 20 Q tips but both sides of the shutter blades are now oil free and the shutter fires strongly on all the speeds. Thanks again for the suggestions. It's always good to learn new tips on camera repairs.