How to get into shooting catalog?

I'm looking to get into shooting catalog but I don't really know where to start. Who are the

people in the industry to contact? Ad agencies or contacting the companies directly? I have

experience with all camera formats. Any helpful information will be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Do a Google.com search on Catalog Photography. You'll find over 10 million sites dealing largely with that subject. Catalog works depends on many factors: 1) Your location (this is a hands-on proposition) 2) Your skills, experience, and ability to sell and self-promote 3) Do you have an agent or a rep out getting you gigs? Many shooters do. 4) Well established catalog sellers usually have the problem solved, but you can always try contacting any whom you think might want your services. If you want business, you've GOT to go out and beat the bush for it.

Hello, thanks for the response. I did do the Google search but all I come up with are sites

about photographers who do catalog or companies offering these services. Not

information about how to go about contacting those who hire photographers for this type

of work in a professional manner. That is basically the answer I'm looking for here. And

I'm totally lost on how to do it cause I've been researching this for a while.

If you are starting from scratch in the catalog business, and are totally in the dark, try writing or calling firms who put out catalogs you think you could handle, and, of course, firms who do NOT put out catalogs but whom you think ought to. The bigger firms usually have ad agencies handle this sort of thing, but not always, so you must ask whoever is in charge of catalog production. The hallmark of a successful photographer is that he or she is a good problem solver and a determined self-promoter. If you have to be told that you must go out and call on potential clients, you just may be in the wrong business. Pro photographers get new business much like any other professionals: they advertise, hire agents, reps and salespersons, write letters and send out mailings, make personal calls and personal appearances. If you want to be noticed, you've GOT to make a noise of some sort. Catalog shooting is product shooting, pure and simple, so put together a knock-'em-dead portfolio and hit the shoe leather.Faint of heart never won fair maid.

Thanks Art for your response. I guess I really need to put it into 6th gear as far as this

goes cause I definitely can do this catalog stuff, but I'm just starting to self-promote so I

see that I have to work harder. I do know that you can purchase these contacts from

Adbase or Redbooks but I was looking for an alternate way. Thanks for the dose of reality!

As Oscar Wilde said "I can face anything but reality." Once you turn pro and get a little successful, you'll find that this profession is more about business and less about photography. Today, nearly any fool with a 3 digit IQ can learn to take a decent picture, but successful entrepreneursare, in my view, born, not made. Still, you can learn to apply yourself, and this just means that it'll take you a bit longer than a Charlie Hustle. Being a successful photographeris not something you do, it's something you ARE!