How to get into an MFA program?

leila_may1

<p>I have been thinking about applying for an MFA program. I started teaching photography in high school this year but I want more. I have found that I really need an MFA to advance in education. I decided to do it then I found out I have very little time to get my application in (5 days, Jan 31)... yikes. I'm looking for advice on what I should show them. I have been working on 2 completely different bodies of work. One more then the other. Should I show then older work, or does it have to be new? How new? I have thought about picking up on a project I did in school 18 years ago as well.<br>

My biggest question. Is about the letter of purpose. Why am I applying to grad school?? I know why but do they want to hear something special. I want to stand out, more then just ... I want to be better, expand my work, thoughts, get immersed again in it all and go on to show and teach. I have my BFA from Art Center, a very commercial school but one of the best.<br>

Any advice would be great. Thanks!<br>

leila</p>

<p>Leila, I have bad news for you... while the application process for the grad school may close in a few days, the individual programs should have already made most of their "internal" choices more than a month ago, as far as assistantship funding, etc. goes.<br>

As a grad from Art Center, you should probably be entitled to access to school stationary to write inquiry letters to professors whose work you are interested in. If those same professors happen to also recognize your name later during the application process, well so be it!<br>

Admission to graduate school is usually separate from admission to a program of study. Anticipate applying to 3 to 5 schools and focus on those schools.<br>

Your portfoliio should normally display a level of competence, and not necessarily a tight focus on a specific area (remember you are going to school to learn more... if you were already a master, you wouldn't need school). If the schools require the GRE, then you need to schedule that exam as well.<br>

Also, check with your undergrad counselors... letters of recommendation from former instructors sometimes help.<br>

Since my MFA was studio art, I can't address your specific photo questions, sorry, but MFA application processes are pretty similar. Picking schools at or near the same level as Art Center (is this the one in Pasadena?) is advisable. Your instructors could give you some advice there.<br>

Good luck. Don't expect it to be a nurturing environment. Mine was more like an Aztec bloodletting ceremony.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>What you have to do is present enough compelling work that a faculty would both enjoy and benefit from developing further. That work should be current and ongoing. Grad schools come in different flavors: Some assume you're already a developed artist, but you need time and their guidance for a more focused effort on a particular aspect of your work. Some will want your unique background and perspective to be applied to a particular medium, and will teach technique, or whatever, to that end. I'm not so sure there is a sole function to an MFA. Art departments across the country are as varied as humanity, and you need to find a good match - not simply pass some standard evaluation.<br>

Keep this in mind as you proceed - it's a bit of a trick statement: There's nothing an MFA can give you that you can't get by putting in time, money, effort and lots of research, except the committed (and sometimes devoted) feedback of competent professionals who will want to someday recognize you as a peer.</p>