How to Fix Yellow Tint with Hot Lights

john_catapano2

I�ve been tasked with taking some staff photos for my company�s

annual report. Most of my previous photographic experience has been

with nature (bird) photography, so I have little knowledge of studio

photography/lighting other than what I�ve read on this website.

My company owns a few Smith-Victor lights with 500-watt GE bulbs.

Ran a couple test rolls using these lights and the photos came out

horribly yellow. What can I do to fix this problem? Should I try a

filter of some sort, buy some better bulbs for the lights (what

kind?), or get my company to purchase some better lights. Any

suggestions for a studio newby who�s trying to save my company a few

bucks would be appreciated.

Use film that is balanced for 3200K light. For color negative use Fuji NPL or Kodak

Portra 100T. For transparency the best choices will be Kodak 64T (EPT or EPY is the

code) or Fuji 64TII.

I appreciate your situation but you should let your bosses know that hiring the pro

who knows how to best solve the primary problem of visual communicating the

companies message effectively is the best way for the company to save money by

spending it effectively.

I have no doubt that they came out quite yellow. Such lights are not made for photography. I wouldn't be surprised if the room became quite hot as well in no time unless there was a lot of air circulation. There is no majic bulb to buy here, you need pure light coming from a flash.

I second the recommendation above to have films that are made for this type of light, but I would also suggest that you rent photography ligthing equipment for a day which can be surprisingly cheap. Even just two monolights with umbrellas can be set in minutes and give you the results you are looking for. Knowing how to use a flashmeter would help as well in this case as it's almost essential.

It's all up to your company, but going by trial and error might frustrate the subjects as it will take much time. A pro will make everyone happy.

I was actually asked to do a similar project for my company a while ago. Although I had just bought my new studio equipment, I wasn't ready, and experience is something I just didn't have. Long story short, it's still a painful memory in the back of my mind. It didn't help me, it didn't help them and I feel like everybody lost precious time because of me. The photo did come out ok, but not ok enough for the punch they needed in the presentation.

On a different note, if the photos for the report are done in black and white, it doesn't matter what type of light you use, from studio, halogen, incandescent or even fluorescent. The results will look good, but as per my understanding they have to be in color.

It's not an easy situation you're in. Good luck.

You need CTB filters of different grades depending on the CT of your yellow lights. Or you need Tungsten balanced film.

That said, if you're trying to save your company a few bucks, you should hire a real professional with a portfolio to show that he really knows what he is doing. There are too many fellas out there calling themselves pro just because they have a camera. Don't make that mistake. Make sure they have the portfolio to show.

First, if pictures do not turn out as you planned, you will be wasting man-hours getting the people to regroup for the shoot until you get it right. Second, there will be downtime as the report is delayed because the results are not up to par. Third, your company should be paying you rightly to shoot the job; just because you are handy with the camera does not mean that the company should not pay you fees, even if you do not ask for them. Being an employess and being a photographer are two different things and you should not abuse yourself by being a free photographer.

I am not doubting your abilities. You may be a fine photographer in your own right. However, it is a very basic question that you are asking and I cannot imagine what else may crop up during the shoot that you have not forseen nor the experience to handle. Tungsten lights are HOT!

The simplest and cheapest solution is to hire a real professional, watch him work and learn something. Then you can shoot next year's report! And charge your company for it.

P.S. If you need to ask what CTB, CT stand for and where to get them, you really shoot consider hiring a professional.

There are a few ways.

Shoot with tungsten film. This is the prefered method, but your choices are limited.

shoot through a filter, but make sure the filter corrects the temperature of the lamps.

put a CTB filter/gel over the lamp, likewise, make sure the filter corrects the temperature of the lamp.

Correct the balance in photoshop, not at all the prefered way, but it is possible, do it in 16bit.

I use Rosco corrective film sheets. They are 10x24 inches. I clip them over the front of the 12in SV floods in a U shape to keep them away for air flow. I have used them for over 25 years in still and motion picture work. Very sturdy and can be used a long time. Try rosco.com

J Prester