How to do over 30 sec exposure on D90?

brandon_andreadakis

<p>Hello, <br>

First of all, I hope that I am posting to the right place on the forum. This seemed the most fitting. I would like to try and take some long exposure night shots. Unfortunately, the D90 has a max exposure time of 30 seconds. I was looking at the Nikon wired remote release that allows a timer to be used, but that is not compatible with the D90. Does anyone know of anything that would work? Thanks!<br>

P.S. I would ideally like it to be compatible with the D7000 as well since I plan on upgrading in the near future. </p>

<p>Can also use the wired remote MC-DC2. Press the button and hold (for as long as you want), or press the button and slide it to lock it open. You can remove your finger and leave shutter open until you slide the button back to unlock. Quite inexpensive, usually under $25 USD.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Francisco, <br>

I'll have to try that tomorrow as I have a ML-L3. If that works, that would be awesome. It's a shame I can't time it precisely that way...but oh well. <br>

Samuel, <br>

Yes...technically. However, you would have to keep your finger on the shutter button. For these types of shots, exposure is in the minutes, so every little vibration, touch, breath, etc. affects the image. <br>

Rick, <br>

That would work. I hadn't heard of the MC-DC2. It still doesn't have a timer but if Francisco's idea doesn't work it may be my only other option.</p>

<p>Just found what I was looking for as I was typing this...lol Here is what it is in case you guys are interested: http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Timer-Remote-Control-Nikon/dp/B001QSG4R8</p>

<p>...and, if you have long-exposure noise reduction turned on, be prepared for the camera to take the same time as the original exposure to complete the noise reduction function. i.e., a 5 minute exposure, will need 5 minutes of noise reduction time.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>It's a shame I can't time it precisely that way...but oh well.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You don´t have to worry about that. An error of 20 seconds in a 1 minute exposure is 1/3 stop, the same as 3.3 minutes error in a 10 minute exposure. Using any clock (with seconds measurement) you´ll be in a precision of less than 1/10 stop.</p>

<p>You´ll have more issues with long exposure noise</p>