How to convert from RAW to JPeg

taybay

Hi, I'm hoping someone can give me some idea about converting my RAW pics to JPeg. I have a Nikon

D200 and love it. Am using Pictur Perfect that came with the camera and it is so easy for a computer

novice like me. My Photoshop remains on the computer but just seems so overwhelming that I don't know

where to start (so forget that for the moment). Can I convert my images taken in RAW and transfered into

Picture Perfect for enhancing, into Jpeg format through picture perfect? If not, what can I do with them? If

so, HOW. I need to be lead by the nose on this one so ANY help is appreciated. I really want to move into

supplying stock photography sites (see whether I'm able to) but they only accept Jpeg. Kind Regards,

Tanya.

Any image editing software (including PhotoShop and even Nikon's) can convert the raw image to JPEG so long as it can read Nikon's NEF raw file format (often requires a plug in). There are batch converters, but one way that works in almost every program is to open the .NEF file (RAW file), then go to File | Save As (Assuming Windows), and save it as a JPEG image. Sometimes you have to convert it to 8 bit before you have the option to save as JPEG, and you can't save it to JPEG if it has layers.

I love using my Mac-the only handicap is that there aren't more Mac users out there! They

don't know what they r missing! I guess I have to bite the bullet and learn how to navigate

around Photoshop. I have just loved the simplicity of Picture Perfect, but alas, it is not really

perfect. So next I ask, how do I convert from RAW to JPeg in Photoshop?

I got somewhat ahead of myself on that answer.... Nikon Capture has a Photoshop plug-in (or maybe it's the other way around?) that gives you an option of converting to 8-bit or 16-bit for Photoshop and defaults to TIFF. You could then do what I just said ^^^^^.

I use Picture Perfect to convert using the EXPORT feature. It will ask you how and where to Export (in your case, as a JPEG -- to what ever file you designate).

So create a new file ahead of time, and when prompted, tell it to export as a JPEG. I would uncheck the box that limits the size of the file...

Hope this helps.

Tanya, I have had my D 200 for one year and shoot in RAW. I use Nikon View to view the images. It is free from Nikon. (I did not like Picture Perfect.) I use Nikon Capture to process the RAW images and save the processed files as RAW or NEF. You can go into Capture right from View without closing out the image you are looking at. Then using the processed NEF file in Capture, I make a JPEG sized or cropped to whatever specs I need. The process is very very simple. You can download Capture and use if for free for 30 days. They you have to buy it. The manual that comes with it is very well written.

I do not know enough about PP to know if you can do the same thing in it.

I have PS 7 but have not used it in that Capture does everything I need to do. Joe Smith

Go to the Nikon web site and get a free copy of Nikon View. This is a free copy not a trial version. Nikon View is almost as easy as Picture Perfect, but has more features. One of the features is being able to process and save Raw files to Jpeg or Tiff one at a time or you can convert multiple files at once. Some of the other features are being able to change white balance, exposure, color, contrast and sharpening. A good programme for someone who wants a simple and basic converter.