How to convert a large Jpeg to a small Jpeg where the client can see it on their computer without photoshop

amy_r.

OK, so I did a shoot recently with my Canon 5D - RAW and after I processed the

images to JPEGs they are 36MB each. I have to give my client all the images on

DVD, however I do not want to give 36MB images because then they will be able to

make quality prints off of the DVD, which I do not want.

I guess I would like to give the client images around 6MB, if possible. Is it

possible to do this without using a program like Photoshop Elements, as the

client will not be able to open them if they do not have PS elements on their

computer.

Is this possible at all?

Are you using Photoshop ? If yes, then Save for Web - and it will give you the option to set image size in pixels. Set the width (or length) to 1000 pixels or so - and you will end up with image 500K in size, or some such.

Thanks for your feedback! 2 things - 1. if I go with photoshop elements and resize the images as you said should I save them under the "save as" option? 2. Also, if the client does not have photoshop elements on their computer will they be able to view the images that I resize in photoshop elements?

Microsoft has a free program under its Powertoys link. Go to the following link, scroll down the right side of the screen and click on the imageresize program. Once it is installed, all you do is right click on a file or a series of files and choose "resize pictures" then you choose small, medium, or handheld PC size (large is fine for emails)and it will save the file or files under a new name which is the same name as it was before plus the word small, medium,large etc. in parens. Very easy.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

I'd second what Jeff says. This is THE easiest way as it works seamlessly with just a right click of your mouse. There's no poncing around having to be connected to use on-line services, and there's no poncing around having to run separate programs. You can also resize a whole batch of images just by selecting them all, then right clicking and resizing the whole bunch.

The only downside is that it only works for Windows XP. I'm sure there must be something similar out there for MAC etc.

As for image size, as Shun says - 6MP is FAR TOO GENEROUS. The client will be able to print off fantastic images with a 6MP file. Even files of 100K or less can display really well (look at most of the ones uploaded to PN!) and give decent size desktop prints!

I am attaching an image of a surfer, and it is only 71K bytes in size. I think it looks ok on the computer screen but it is fairly useless as far as printing goes.

If you are giving samples to your client, I would keep the JPEG size and quality to something like this sample. If you give them 6M-byte images, you are effectively giving away the farm.<div>00N4P0-39318984.jpg.059605d0aea83edc33725b71d2e0f877.jpg</div>

I always thought that Photoshop Elements has some sort of a Web Gallery / Web photo-album /Picture Package sort of function. Amy, this would be perfect for convenience, color correction for the general browsers, the web, safe file-sizes etc., and I dare say if this presentation was put on even a CD rather than a DVD it would be viewable on most Video/TV set-ups.

I'm stumped how you're getting a 36 MB jpeg from a 5Ds RAW file. I shoot with 2 5Ds

myself. And sure, the file sizes vary based on what's in the image, but I just saved a jpeg

from one of my 5D RAW files, at the very highest quality setting (12) and the file is about

10.5 MB.

Are you saving the jpeg at a higher-than-native resolution?