How to clean the oxidation(white film) from rubberized parts?

michael_w7

<p>a clean cloth dampened with warm water works very well. be wary of using certain cleaners, as they can react with the rubber (and accumulated skin/body oils) and leave a sticky film that is impossible to remove. as the old saying goes, if you feel the need to use a cleaner, try on an inconspicuous area first</p>

<p>Do not use any cleaner that contains any type of alcohol as this will cause the rubber to "dry" out and eventually crack. If you need some cleaning power, I would suggest using a mild soap or detergent (i.e. dish soap diluted in warm water). Obviously this has limitations, especially when the rubber piece cannot be removed from the camera. I would avoid using any significant amount of any fluid in this case. ;)</p>

<p>I was just looking at my 5D and noticing it was starting to look a bit burnished, with that white whatever-it-is on the rubberized leather areas. My thought was to leave it as-is, makes it look venerable.</p>

<p>Just speculating, it might be skin oils drying up on the camera, you see similar on steering wheels and shift levers.</p>

<p>I'd just stick to soemthing benign like the above mentioned damp cloth, and leave it at that.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I just put it in with the rest of the wash. Except for jeans, because of the metal zippers. Then, if i need it right away, I'll wrap it in a thick sock and put it in the dryer. Seriously. The first time you use it after this, you won't believe the difference.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's what I do, however, I make sure to use fabric softner, i hate it when my camera strap doesn't have that fresh smell.</p>

<p>Seriously: damp cloth, avoid paper towels, they leave fibers and you'll go nuts removing them.</p>