How to approach galleries?

marek_m

Hello,

plan to come to NYC soon and will take the opportunity to visit some

galleries for showing my work.

I work in color, my c-prints usually have a size of 24x35 (from

6x9cm) or 40x50 (from 4x5). Looking at 35mm slide duplicates or 8x10

prints makes it hard to imagine the impact of the original prints.

Maybe I am too critical but to me these are only mediocre copies of

the original.

How do you seasoned colleagues get around this problem? Do you lug

your original prints around or are galleries used to look at smaller

prints and are able to imagine how the originals would look like?

Thank you very much

Marek

Marek,

You might consider joining Stock Artists Alliance. Just do a search to find the site. I'm currently a member but on line discussions are confidential, so I'm limited on what I can tell you.

I'll be doing just what you are asking this morning. I'm lugging a 32x38 finished piece to a potential buyer for consideration because i feel like you, the small size doesn't carry the impact of the gallery size.

I think you need at least one large print, even if it is rolled up, that you can spread out for impact purposes in your interview.

good luck

Sadly, there aren't THAT many galleries that specialize in just photo, though many art galleries do it as a sort of sideline. In my experience in L.A., they all differ, and your best bet might be to simply inquire as to what they want. It's tough for unknowns, and getting known is even tougher, so don't get your hopes up too high. If your stuff is good and you knock on enough doors, you MAY get your nose in the tent.

make sure that the type of work you show is genre of work they show: by genre I

mean figurative, landscape, still life, experimental, etc. This way you won't waste your

time or theirs. Generally they want slides so they can review them at their regular

review times. Some may also want to hold on to slides or a CD-R so that they show

to clients. A sample print is not a bad idea to show quality.

Research the potential galleries to see if your work fits what they do. Call or write them. Do not just walk in. Ask if they are accepting new work and if so what is the procedure for submitting it for review. If they are not accepting new work at this time, ask when it would be appropriate to check back.

Your portfolio should consist of 30 or so photos. You'll get points for originality and conceptual/stylistic strength and consistency. Unless you are a genius with work that has made nearly everyone who has seen it faint upon first viewing, be prepared to clearly articulate the ideas behind your work and how it it fits with current and past photo art and art in general.

The best gallery owners are professionals and will appreciate your professionalism in dealing with them.

Beyond this, quality presentation is critical.

• 3 years later...

jen bekman gallery in new york, has their hey hot shot photo contest 4 times a year. It is

probably the fastest way to get a gallery show in new york. i too was embarking on the same

mission, and called several galleries first. everyone said the same thing, to have a disc made

of your work.