How They Shot the 1952 Helsinki Olympics

Thanks again for posting these, Marc!

A nice piece on the Helsinki Olympics! I met a local athlete, many years ago, that competed in Helsinki. He had a lot of anecdotes. The article brought back memories.

RF types, Rolleiflexes and LF press cameras carried the day. I love that picture of the German photographer carrying a load of cameras.

The Cold War was indeed on; a lot of the article is about the Russians photographers and equipment. In Korea the war was for real. The Russians were under Stalin or Beria, not an easy time to get caught talking to Western photographers. No wonder they broke contact as soon as they noticed that they were being photographed.

We have now official confirmation that Kievs at that time were exactly like Contaxes!

In the ads, this was the time of Leica vs. Contax - but Canon was coming in.

In these times of sharing every little burp on the internet, it's fun to read how surprised the writer seems to be that the Russians had cameras produced in Russia that looked very similar to Western cameras. It's hard to image nowadays how little "we" knew about the life at the other side of the iron curtain (not that I was remotely born at the time of the Helsinki olympics, but the cold war lasted long enough).

• 2 weeks later...