How much to charge to create a wedding album?

jennie_d

<p>Question regarding photo albums:<br />A (videographer) friend's client reached out to me to see if I can help her create her wedding photo album. She has about 1700 processed JPGs from her wedding photographer and she wants to include a subset of those into a wedding album. It's an Indian wedding so there are a few different days worth of celebrations. <br /><br />My question is: what is the average going rate for creating a photo album like this? Obviously there's the cost of the album itself, but how do you charge for your time put in to create the album? What would you charge? I'm just looking for some rough estimates or ranges to give me an idea.<br /><br />A little background on me: Being a wedding photographer is not my main job but I have done a few weddings and other events. I've only created one wedding album before and really enjoyed it, so I don't have a huge amount of experience per se (and I did let the client know this ahead of time).<br /><br />Thank you for taking the time to read and respond!</p>

<p>Out of curiosity why isn't her wedding photographer doing the album? I can only assume the client did not want to pay the price they charged. If that is the case then I feel bad for you as you will have to have a price that you feel that its worth doing. Design only for what you have described I would say between $1,500 and $2,500 but if they are cheap then you might be in the $500 to $1,000 range. Good luck</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"but how do you charge for your time put in to create the album? What would you charge? I'm just looking for some rough estimates or ranges to give me an idea."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'd charge by the hour and that is my advice as how you can work out your own guide.</p>

<p>It seems obvious that your Prospect would want a quote before giving you the work to do - so using information that you already have, or can obtain:</p>

<p>> approximately how many photos will be used?<br /> > how long did it take you to do the Album you made previously?<br /> > how many photos were used in that Album?<br /> > what is the value you place on your time, per hour?</p>

<p>Then use simple arithmetic to come up with your guide; and do not underestimate the time you actually spent making that first Album.</p>

<p>I think Michael makes a good point. That was the first question that crossed my mind too; i.e., is the Client looking for a price less expensive than that which her Wedding Photographer indicted? If so, you might try to get that information too, as it would benificial in your quoting, if you want to get the job.</p>

<p>Also (and it might just be your writing style) but, combined with the question as to why the Original Photographer is not doing the Album, is this phrase:<br /> " . . .to see if <strong><em>I can help her create</em></strong> her wedding photo album" (my bold for emphasis).</p>

<p>I would not take on the job of being her helper - '<em>helping her to create</em> . . .'. I have however taken on a jobs of <em>Creating Albums, etc</em>, which comprised images that not been made by me.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Check to see her contract with the wedding photographer. She might now have the right to hand the photos to somebody else to assemble an album for pay.</p>

<p>I know it's stated in my contract that they are more than welcome to create their own DIY album but permission is never granted for another professional to produce a wedding album with my images. </p>

<p>Common questions on these types of forums are "what do I charge". I know I don't do it correctly but I've always found charging by the hour is the easiest way to bid a job. (by the hour plus ALL the material cost). Depending on the number of pages I wouldn't do it for less than $1000. Factor in time you'll need to change things she doesn't like.</p>

<p>This brings up a point for photographers who give the high res files with there contract. Never include the camera's highest resolution files without charging extra for it. This is the perfect example what happens when you do. It is hard to keep track of your files once you give it away. I just saw an ad for flush mount 10x10 book available to the public with 30 spreads for just under $100. This is lost income for the wedding and event photographer if he does not charge additional for the high res files. I am all for including a printable resolution sized for a 4x6 prints so they can make there own proofs. Like commercial photographers we have to start to charge for USAGE of the files. In this case its an all rights buyout. Which is the highest tier pricing in usage.</p>

<p>You do need to figure out how many hours this take and then multiply that times whatever you like to make per hour. But I would quote the client a flat fee, not an hourly fee since this type of project is more about creativity than time on task. Anybody could take an empty album (or album template in software), slap a couple of hundred pictures into it and be done in a couple of hours. But coming up with a thoughtful design, groupings that make sense, something that tells a story, etc., is a less tangible process that you think about over a couple of days, sit and play with for a while, etc. If you quote it hourly, the client can haggle over the number of hours it takes or how many hours they want to pay for. Not like quoting a wedding by the hour and you simply stay as long as the wedding lasts.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>“But I would <strong><em>quote the client a flat fee</em></strong>, not an hourly fee”</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree. I think that is important.<br>

<br /> Upon re- reading my first two sentences it might not have been clear that is what I meant also. I am glad you made the point more clearly. And annoyed at myself for not being more articulate / precise.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p> </p>

• 3 months later...

<p>An approach that might be helpful - and a sanity check on prices - is to see what other professionals charge.<br>

We create custom albums for "orphaned" brides who are no longer working with their photographer and have hi-res images and a photo release. Clients upload their images and we do the page design for their approval. Then we have the page layouts printed and bound in their choice of books from 11 top wedding album makers (Leather Craftsmen, West Coast, Finao, Zookbinders, PictoBooks, Album Crafters, etc.). <br>

We have an online album catalog with pictures and prices of all the albums we offer and we refer the client to the online catalog to choose their album. Take a look at our catalog and you can get some good ideas of what we charge our bridal clients.<br>

We're more expensive than many custom designers, less expensive than some, I'm sure. Check out several to get a better idea. <br>

Best of luck,<br>

john givens</p>

<br><br>

<p><i> Mod. Note: Links to business websites and telephone number removed.<br> Please do not use business details as your sign off <br></i></p></i>

<p>Michael's advice should be paid attention to. If the original photographer has not provided the client with a usage release, you may be in violation of the copyright. For example, without a release, many photo labs and places like Wallmart, and big box stores with lab services, will not print wedding images without such a written and signed release. Some of them have been sued by photographers and lost, thus the policy of requiring a useage release.</p>

<p>I charge enough to provide such a release of high res files, and the client can do as they wish with them. I gave up trying to control images after they leave my hands.</p>

<p>RE: <strong>ALBUMS:</strong></p>

<p>I include a 15 spread, 12" X 18" album design with each higher-end wedding … which can be expanded at a fixed price per spread. I generally charge $700 for the design including up to 6 picture swaps, and <strong>add</strong> actual real costs for printing/binding + a handling fee. Average price is about $1,200. I charge more for design when it is an A la Carte assignment from past clients, or clients with a release from another photographer.</p>

<p>Most photographers would charge more for the level of unique design and customization I do … however, I have a graphic design & art-direction background and am really fast at laying out an album.</p>

<p>So, my advice is to charge a fixed price because the client shouldn't have to pay for an inexperienced designer. </p>

<p>A few higher-end examples:</p>

<p>http://fotografz.smugmug.com/Weddings/Boston-Wedding-Album/32017213_398rNW#!i=1331228037&k=2D5QRxk</p>

<p>http://fotografz.smugmug.com/Weddings/Wedding-Photos/Sams-Album/26685811_xRZrMV#!i=2245488889&k=Xr38rXM</p>

<p>http://fotografz.smugmug.com/Weddings/AlbumDesigns/Kassie/45017359_CM3GDJ#!i=3617551439&k=gchbLLt</p>

<p>http://fotografz.smugmug.com/Weddings/Wedding-Photos/Cranbrook/32017162_QrFHnN#!i=2131776030&k=bTMQmRc</p>

<p> </p>