How much to charge for prints?

<p>This question is not answerable w/o some more information from you.</p>

<p>What other people charge is not what I charge, you charge or a thousand other shooters might charge.</p>

<p>What did these execs get for their $550?<br>

What size prints do they want?<br>

What finish?<br>

Framed or unframed?<br>

B&W conversions or no?<br>

Archival papers or 1 hr specials?</p>

<p>It seems to me if you were able to determine the sitting fee for 5 people, figuring print prices should be a slam dunk no brainer.</p>

<p>Christopher,</p>

<p>For prints to be sold as fine art, a not-awful starting point is a dollar per square inch.</p>

<p>In your circumstances, you’ve theoretically made a profit on your time and fixed expenses

in the photo shoot plus post-processing, so you don’t need to recoup those any more. Charge double or triple the

material costs to print (and mat, frame, <i>etc.</i>) plus an appropriate hourly fee for your total actual

time in making the prints (including driving to the post office to mail them, <i>etc.</i>).</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>Seems high unless you are matting them. And if they have the files and need a lot of copies, they will soon discover that $20 for an 8x10 by you is not really that much better than one for 10% of that from Ritz or Costco. I agreee with the previous comment. A 1x to 2x markup based on your actual cost seems reasonable. High enough that you make money, low enough to keep them from jumping ship.</p>

<p>"$20 for an 8x10 by you is not really that much better than one for 10% of that from Ritz or Costco."<br /> .<br /> Funny you should mention that. I took 8x10 digital to Walgreens, Walmart and a local expensive $10 per print place and had co-workers pick their favorite. Walmart won by a landslide and $7 cheaper. Not sure about the paper longevity but on day 1 Walmart 1 hour special wins.<br /> '<br /> With that said - 1x or 1.5x actual cost is what I start basing things on. . . . unless you can get more. The trick is will they come back. It's the repeat people that bring you the money.</p>