How much should I worry about these front element scratches?

jimsimmons

A small scratch like that won't have a major effect on your images. Generally the worst thing that will happen is a very slight reduction in contrast (probably need a densitometer to detect the loss.)

You can further minimize the effect of even deep scratches by filling the scratch with black paint or opaque. You'd obviously need a wee tiny paintbrush and steady hands to do that.

You guys are the experts, but I bet little surface coating marks like that would have no detectable effect at the film gate, except under laboratory conditions. Bid on it and if you win the auction, just use it. The seller (Henry's, Toronto) is incidentally very reliable-- I've been buying stuff from them for over 25 years.

I've become an inveterate large format lens bottom feeder and I'd be very surprised if you could demonstrate any of those defects under any condition. I have much much worse lenses that produce perfect negatives. I can appreciate the fact that some photographers demand flawless pristine glass and thank my luck when they sit out and don't bid against me.

Errr, what I meant to say is-- once a lens coating is breached, slightly scratched or even excessively dusty, the amount of flare, coma, spherical, and chromatic aberrations will obscure the drop in contrast, acutance and resolution. You get what you pay for--that's what I say. Might as well tape a piece of broken pickle jar to a lensboard, but the pickles only cost $1.89 and you get something to eat. :)