How much do you pay for your personal web site?

Do some of you folks pay for your personal website? I'm not talking

about the few Mb of disk space and bandwidth your get for "free" form

your ISP, but rather some serious server space with access to tools

such as ASP, PHP, MySQL and the like, that allow your to build large

sites.

So, how many of you are buying such services? And how much do you pay,

for how many Mbytes of disk space and bandwidth? Do you pay on a

monthly basis or do you have a longer term contract?

Just trying to understand this market before I do my move...

I pay 9.95 for a low-end package at <a href="http://www.rootr.net">Root Route</a> I have 200MB of storage and 1GB of transfer. When I signed up that account included all the program tools I wanted, including a PostrgreSQL database. Now, you have to get the next plan up (14.95 a month -- also gives extra disk space, etc.) to get PostgreSQL. The basic plan still allows you to have a MySQL database. I pay monthly, but they do offer discounts if you pay quarterly or annually.

I've been very happy with the service and the hosting. I would recommend this company.

Philippe, when I launched <a href="http://stainedglassphotography.com">StainedGlassPhotography</a> two years ago I used a cheap "unlimited bandwidth" hosting service and learned some lessons. Firstly it was slow, the server was unreliable and although I can't prove it I am convinced that being associated with it let me in for a lot of unwelcome spam and virus mail. My site proved popular and was made a Yahoo pick of the day after a couple of months online and this resulted in a spike of traffic. My friendly hosting service did not react well to the spike and just closed it down - no notice, no apology, no explanation.

At a time when I should have been basking in glory and watching the traffic stats climb I was scrambling around trying to find another hosting service and then getting files transferred - not a fun situation.

After a brief but intense search I opted to go with www.pair.com and have no regrets. My account is over-specified, for sure, and I have not even come close to using my allocated bandwidth but at $29.95 I consider it great value and I could scale down the account to one costing $10-12 less if I was pressed.

They have real live customer service and on the one or two occasions I have had questions I have found them to be very responsive.

You can probably get something quite good (not necessarily from Pair) for about $10-12 but my strong advice is to allow yourself room to grow and choose a company that you are fairly sure will be around in 2/3/4 years time so that you do not need to keep chopping and changing.

Just my 2C......

I have also learned some lessons about "cheap" hosts, and have tried at least 5 in the last 4 years, ranging from $7.00 USD a month all the way up to $29 USD a month.

<p>

Some of the less expsnsive ones provided a good amount of disk space (400MB-800MB) and decent bandwidth (2-5GB), but had poor support, frequent outages and horrible user interfaces.

<p>

I became especially irritated at the "CPanel" interface and avoid it. That being said, many people LOVE it. "CPanel" is a Nikon vs. Canon and Windows vs. Macintosh argument, so I am not getting into that one...

<p>

I was VERY happy with <a href="http://www.laughingsquid.net/hosting.php">Laughing Squid</a>, but thought they were a bit overpriced (for me). Their service and uptime was excellent.

<p>

I finally went with <a href="http://www.unitedhosting.co.uk">United Hosting</a> in England (their servers are in Texas, and I am in New Zealand). I pay $18 USD per month for 1 GB of disk space and 15GB of traffic. Their service and support is fast and straight to the point. I like them a lot and they have cheaper plans with a little less disk space that have the same good service and uptime.

<p>

My site is modest, only getting 150,000-180,000 hits a month and I have never exceeded 3GB of traffic, and I currently have about 640MB of pictures and data on-line. They suit me perfectly and they have PHP, MySQL, CGI/PERL, etc...

<p>

I am sure there are MANY great hosts out there. United Hosting is one of them (IMHO).

$12.95 a month for 450MB of disk and 15Gb of bandwidth at www.interserver.net . I find them 'so so' on reliability and service (it's not unusual for the site to be down for an hour or so each week). I think I've been with them for five years or more, so the market may have moved around in that time.

When I was 'shopping' for a host, I spent some time here:

http://www.hostspot.com/ . This is/was a board where folks tell horror stories and make recommendations about host services and domain registrars.

FWIW, I don't host 'bulk' photos on my own site, I push them out to a fulfillment service like www.ofoto.com and link to them from my site.

My site has been with <a href="http://www.powweb.com">PowWeb</a> for over three years. They charge $7.77/month (payable annually) for a gigabyte of storage and 5G of daily traffic on an Apache server. Not really suitable for running amazon.com, but for individuals and small businesses I think they offer excellent value for money. They're a relatively small, privately-held company in Southern California, so they can provide decent service instead of an outsourced call center in Bangalore. They've had some growing pains during that time, and they don't quite live up to their slogan "the perfect hosting solution" (mainly because there's no such thing anywhere). I know people who pay a lot more and don't get any better reliability or service.

I've been with DreamHost (www.dreamhost.com) since 1999. No complaints whatsoever. Their service and support is excellent. Friends of mine who use other web hosting services are always telling me horror stories of outages, DoS attacks, useless tech support, etc. Never had any of those problems with DreamHost. Granted, DreamHost is not the least expensive web host out there, but their prices are very reasonable and their service/support makes me glad to be one of their customers.

• 2 weeks later...