How many computers can you use with one i1Display Pro?

<p>I am just sorting out a request from a camera club about members screen calibration. If the club was to buy an i1Display Pro is there a limit on the number of computers that software and hardware could be used on? I have the cheaper ColorMunki Display and pointed them towards the i1Display Pro as a better kit but need to know if there are user limitations on it.</p>

<p>I'd ask X-Rite but have found their customer feedback lacking previously. Thanks for any input.</p>

<p>the i1display pro is not for many a better kit.. what most people need is white balance + gamma + luminance... and the Color Munky display do all that for less $. The pro version give you more control IF you know what to do with it.. I have both (in fact i have too many of those thing around me! ; )</p>

<p>As for the club getting one and there member sharing it.. its possible of course... but replace i1dsiplay pro with Adobe Photoshop in your sentence.. does it sound strange now?....</p>

<p>Patrick,</p>

<p>Not really, the i1Display is a piece of hardware that interacts with freely downloadable software, Photoshop is the software. Replace i1Display with Hasselblad H4D, a piece of hardware that needs software to use, and there would be no question that a club could use it amongst the members. Obviously we are an honest club, hence the question, but I didn't see it as clear cut or wrong.</p>

<p>As for the i1 being better than the ColorMunki for the task, I only suggested it because of the complexity of workarounds when trying to get two displays on the same computer to match with the ColorMunki, the i1Display Pro is much better able to do that.</p>

<p>Thanks both for your thoughts, I will try to get a definitive answer from X-Rite for our specific situation.</p>

<p>Ok, i tought it was clear.. what i meant is if you read the box, or the manual or somewhere (probably the EULA) its say its 1 device 1 user. 1 club dont qualify in my point of view as 1 member.. but i know a lot of club that do exactly that.. so you are not alone, even if by the book you could be not ligit doing so. I use the Photoshop example as " Can i buy a copy and share it with my friend" since you need a software to run the puck on each computer.. the device is a device, but the software even free seem to have some legal thing to follow.</p>

<p>As far as what can or not do the i1display im very well aware of that, many user in your club im sure have a laptop alone, or a latop with a external display.. rarely a computer with 2 display.. and even for those, they will need a video card capable of supporting 2 different calibration (even if there video card support 2 monitor*) .. and for those who have a laptop + external display its make no sense to even try to match both.. best to make the external very good, and let the laptop screen live by itself.<br /> It seem pretty clear on there web site that only 1 user can use it..</p>

<p>"i1Display Pro includes an <strong>end user license agreement</strong> (EULA) <strong>allowing</strong> <strong>a single user</strong> the ability <strong>to install and run unlimited installations of i1Profiler software</strong> <strong>on any number of computers that he/she owns.</strong> A PDF of the single user, unlimited seat license policy can be downloaded via the Support Tab link..."</p>

<p>*Dual display support requires either 2 video cards or a dual head video card that supports dual video LUTs being loaded</p>

<p>Whatever calibration hardware/software you use, won't there be an issue with the calibration not being portable? Or is the intention to pass the equipment around members to take away and use on their monitors and computers at home? That second option would appear to contravene the maker's rather restrictive usage agreement.</p>

<p>IMHO, once you've bought a piece of hardware you should be free to use it as you wish, and the fact that it requires a bit of software to work should be of little or no concern. You wouldn't expect to buy a car or refrigerator and then have the maker tell you that you can't have more than one passenger at a time in the car, or that you can't use the 'fridge to cool the beers for a neighbourhood barbecue. Would you? So why, morally, should computer-based hardware be any different? These End-User License "agreements" are totally one-sided and in law it takes at least two parties to make a contract.</p>

<p>in my oppinion, nobody force you to buy anything if you dont like what they offer .. but if you do buy it, that mean that you are agree with what they tell you.</p>

<p>And for your info, they dont stop you to share the product itself.. they tell you that only the owner of the device can install the related software on any unlimited computer that he own.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Don't get me wrong, we have no intention of doing something not permitted, it was a genuine question because I had not seen the section of the EULA that Patrick quoted.</p>

<p>If its not doable then that is fine.</p>

<p>The line of thought started with the Lens Align II, it was suggested in a review that whilst it might not be a good investment for an individual photographer it would make sense for a club to own as it was a good piece of kit and worked as advertised, at a planning meeting for the club I thought a calibration system might be a good idea too as many members have the ubiquitous problem of not being happy with the prints they get from on-line printers.</p>

<p>Like I said, I have a ColorMunki and am happy with my printing, it was just a totally innocent inquiry for the benefit of other club members, none of whom are pros or could justify a $170 calibrator.</p>

<p>Thanks for your help, Scott.</p>

<p>Scott, i didtn think for a minute you where asking to do something wrong. Its a legitimate question.. and to be honest i dont really feel bad sharing my i1display pro when i go to my parents house and calibrate there monitor.. and i know a lot of photo club have 1 and share it across there member... but the fine print is the fine print.. in a way whe need to respect that.</p>

<p>I totally agree that when you need a expensive piece of equipment, if you cant you should buy with a friend or as a photo club get it and share / rent it among user. You can that way have equipment to play with and experiment.</p>