How is the Tokina 80-200mm f/2.8 AT-X SD Manual Focus Lens ?

steppenwolf

Hi,

Anybody has any experience with this manual focus lens?

How is the Tokina 80-200mm f/2.8 MF compared to the Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm MF

f/3.5 macro. My experience with the Vivitar has been quite good and though its a

stop slower than 2.8 you can get it very cheap and its very light to carry

around. I am looking to get a second one and want to decide between the vivitar

and the tokina.

Most of the reviews I found got were about the Tokina AF version so any

information about the MF would be helpful.

Also information about any other manual focus lens in the same zoom range, which

I could get under 200$ would be helpful.

Thank You.

I have the Tokina and a Kiron 80-200.. f4 macro--which I believe is every bit as good as the Vivitar Series 1--in fact I think the Series 1 was made by Kiron. In any event, My Tokina compares very favorably to the Kiron and is very well built. The only dowside of the Tokina is its weight, but you'll have that problem with any f2.8 zoom.

There was an MF Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 - I have a book somewhere that has a picture of it. I

think I also read that it may not have actually gone into production, or very limited.

As far as sticking with Nikon, you'll probably only find the f/4.5 and f/4 MF versions.

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?

groupsku=NK07010200775N&brandcategoryname=35MM&Mode=&item=0&ActivateTOC2=

&ID=24&BC=NK&BCC=1&CC=7&CCC=2&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

Yes, you can buy Nikon lenses only for Nikon cameras--and you can pay considerably more for a lens that won't produce results noticeably better that those from a high end after market lens manufacturer.

That's like saying only Winchester ammunition should be used in Winchester firearms.

I am shooting in film, but is that important?

I think I will go for the vivitar 70-210 f/3.5 macro over the tokina at this point. Its half the weight (probably compensates for the 1 stop slower speed) and 1/3rd the price (around 60-70$ over 200 for the Tokina).. Also I have previous experience with this one.

I had earlier got the vivitar in an impulse buy for just 50$ and was quite surprised with the results. Later I read that it is supposedly a really good lens capable of print quality sharpness. I also like its close focusing capabilities. Great for hikes.

BTW there are some great 3rd party lenses I like. (e.g. I have both used and seen photos with Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 where its indistinguishable from the 3 times more expensive Nikon counterpart even at 100% crop.. Buying nikon/canon is a no brainer if you want to spend.

I really just wanted to know the experiences with the Tokina and how it compares to the Vivitar without really bringing up the "use only nikon issue". I have used the cheap nikons before and they are sometimes really really bad and have to be even more careful when getting them.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

I own a couple manual focus 80-200mm 2.8 tokina lenses in Nikon AiS and Pentax K-A Mount. I use the Nikon mount on Canon Eos 3 film body. Its a better lens image quality wise than the 70-210 3.5 Ai Vivitar Series 1 which I still own. This 2.8 tokina design is also an exceptional performer with nikon made 1.4x B telconverter on my eos 3 film body. On my pentax dslr the 2nd Tokina lens images quite well on pentax 1.5x crop digital too and also with pentax' rare 1.7x manual focus lens to autofocus function converter.

Lindy

The 80-200 f2.8 AI-S does exist, I've seen one in use. It's rare though and massive (the AF versions are noticeably smaller)

The Tokina is a well-regarded lens. I wouldn't hesitate to use it, although their coating technology is not as good as Nikon's. The best Nikon to look at is the 80-200 f2.8 AF, which actually makes quite a good MF version (in all of its variations)

Lindy,

Thanks for the information. Do you think the Tokina f/2.8 at 200$ is well worth over the Vivitar at 70$ (both seemed to be in decent condition from the description).

Wayne,

The Vivitar 70-210 I own seems to be built by Tokina :-). I think you have the 1st version of the lens which was built by Kiron. Both are excellent lenses. Not exactly sure the one I was going to buy is Tokina or the Kiron built but I think at at least there is possibility of a good comparison.

AI-S is rare, sweet! That makes the local purchase of a complete & mint sample for $225 a better buy.

When I considered buying the tokina I already owned the kiron made "3.5" series 1 in AI mount. When I saw the Tokina "2.8" I went home and picked up all my related bits including my 70-210 f3.5 and immediately saw the difference upon my return, both with and without 1.4x converter. In fact I like the 2.8 so much I spent the next few months trying to find a PK-A version. I only located one over several months of internet shopping and bought it. Although I paid 2x the money for the pentax A mount over AI-S version, it also images exceptionally well on pentax 1.5x dslr too.

As far as nikon made versions I have no clue so I would take Adam's advise if you choose Nikon Made over 3rd party options.

Lindy