How do you talk to people and persuade them to take a photo as you want??

mumtazguran

Usually when i am shooting a humans photo i can`t talk with them to

tell what i want.I think this is because i live in turkey.Because

when i used to talk them they reject it because they think that it

is not normal,they don`t know much about photography art.If you help

me about this i would be so happy.REGARDS Mumtaz Guran

It's clear there is a cultural dimension here but in any event if someone indicates they do not want to be photographed then don't photograph them. Even here in Britain some people find it odd that I want to photograph them but I use the 'Colombo' approach (after the famous TV detective series) - that is, a slightly eccentric, bumbling and distracted manner which amuses them so much that I have my photograph before they realise what's happening. An eccentric hat also helps.

Hi, I am a beginner, I find that people who do not want their picture taken are not good subjects. If you want to find some people to shoot then perhaps you need to find people who understand that.

If you really can't talk to the subject then I think you face a difficult road ahead, unless you like that scenario of course.

Maybe try to find new people and new places that are more open minded, modern, and approachable.

I find living in Ireland to be a similar kettle of fish, and I can't wait to get back to Canada!

Cheers.

I live in Central Pennsylvania; (USA). The Amish, a traditional religious sect, feel that taking their picture "steals their souls." The woman's response clearly shows that she lives her life with utter respect for her husband, and I felt wrong even viewing a picture I knew was not supposed to be taken. Perhaps this is what you face quite often in Turkey and other spots abroad. What you will also find, at least as a visitor to a different country, is a pride in culture which many want to share- whether through the approach of standing their ground, or allowing you to photograph them to SHOW that culture.

I'm guessing your question is about more than just getting permission, though. "I can't talk with them to tell what I want." I've got to admit that I'm not great at it either. I concentrate on one single aspect of the person and flatter them. For example, with this woman, I might say- "let me show the rest of the world what a beautiful, sturdy woman, comes from Turkey!" I've used a woman's outfit as the target before, saying to her- "...you couldn't find a better fit for that dress in a magazine! You look beautiful in it!"

General flattery, (which should also be sincere or your photo won't be,) works wonders. Eccentricity, as the other post said, is a very good technique as well.

Good luck!

Mumtaz, please understand that I believe you are doing everything right! I went to your portfolio page and love your portraits of the Turkish people. Have confidence in your vision and soon people will recognize your ability and barriers will fall away. Really, you are good! Mary

<<The Amish, a traditional religious sect, feel that taking their picture "steals their souls." >>

I think the objection has more to do with Amish preferences to be humble and to avoid anything that smacks of vanity, like those shiny metal buttons the "English" wore on their military uniforms. A camera records an image, and who would want THAT if not for vanity?

Be well,

Yes, that's true in many cases, including the more strict Mennonite sects/faiths. There are still those that give the "soul" issue as the reason for not allowing it.

It's rather strange in these parts. There are some who refuse to use electricity; and so you'll see them sawing off rafters in a new home using a chain saw. And others still, who accept vehicles, as long as they follow what you've stated above- and don't have chrome or obnoxious markings on them.

I respect their privacy and stick to taking pictures of their belongings- farms, buggies, etc. The fundamentality of that way of life is very appealing.

Take care!

Shawn and Mumtaz, you have to understand your respective subjects a bit better. Despite the radical differences in their religions, their reasons are identical, a strict prohibition (contained in both the Bible and the Qur'an) against "graven images". Both the Anabaptists (Amish, Mennonite, and Hutterite) and devout Muslims believe that this includes any "representational art", anything that is an actual drawing, painting, statue of something or someone. Their own artwork is limited to the famed Islamic decorative patterns and the equally famous Amish quilts). A photograph, being a the most representational of all artforms, is the most blasphemous.

Although both cultures permit as much representational artwork as is actually necessary to keep their civilization running: architectural drawings and plans, maps and navigational charts, and (for the Muslims, anyway) schematics and other diagrams for machines.

Shawn, it has nothing to do with "stealing souls", and I honestly can't picture any Anabaptist ever saying that. Not even Mennonites, who will freely converse with us non-Anabaptists when it is not necessary for commerce, even to the point of sharing their humor with us. But it is, by their own beliefs, endangering their souls. Attempting to photograph Anabaptists or Muslims is forcing them to participate in something they regard as unholy.

Now, having gotten past the issue of stealing souls...

I've been using a very simple technique, for years, with almost no problems, ever. This is language independent, and seems to be culture independent.

Do not have the camera at your eye when you initiate this.

Make eye contact with your subject. Raise the camera a bit with one hand, and point to it with the other hand. One of five things will then happen...

1) Your subject will give you some form of permission (a nod, a smile)

2) Some form of denial (a shake of the head, a frown, hiding of the face, that hand and elbow thing (whatever it's called), the finger, etc). In any case you will definitely know the difference between permission and denial.

3) They may simply go back to whatever they were doing. This is also to be considered "permission", unless they are so occupied with something that it is obvious that they needed to return to the task at hand and have no time to issue either permission or denial.

4) They will initiate further contact (i.e. walk over and ask whay you're doing. In this case, Shawn's flattery may be just the tool to diffuse the situation. Business cards help, as does a pocket sized version of your portfolio).

5) They will initiate hostile action.

OK, OK, there is this one...

6) They will preceive your "point at the camera" gesture as meaning you're looking to fence the camera. (Yes, I was born in Detroit. Does it show?)

Any approach that doesn't involve permission, i.e. the smoothest, most casual "draw, shoot, move on" move is still an invitation to hostile action. Remember, you've removed the opportunity for your subject to deny permission, so the only course of action is now resentment or retaliation.

And also remember that you will often need permission from someone other than the subject, such as a parent or guardian of a minor, or, in many cultutes, a responsible male when photographing a female of any age. This, believe it or not, can all be accomplished with simple gestures and eye contact.

I can't help. Here in Germany I would never try to talk any of the local obviously turkish ladys into permitting me picturing her, just for my personal pleasure and art.

My general suggestion is to try to come in touch with a artists and actors scene to get some models for planned shootings.

Another idea would be supporting some political ladys, who aren't fundamnetal islamic, like (really just for example!) communists. Maybe they would allow your camera as long as it supports them. - In fear of the admin: I have no political or religious oppinion of my own going further as "everybody should be happy and harm nobody else". And if I had a oppinion I wouldn't show it here. I just mentioned these movemnets as a possible source of subjects, what was according to a photographic need for human subjects to perform people photography. - To Mumtaz: One of the biggest questions behind photography is and was the "Leni Riefenstahl dilemma": Does just enjoying the fun of photography allow to push the wrong political guys & gals? - It's surely worth thinking about.

• 2 weeks later...
I use a 400mm 2.8 lens with a 2x converter on it. I take the picture and ask them afterwords if they would like to see it. That is of course if they even see me off in the distance. It works well, but other then that, I point the camera at them and if they dont want their picture taken they will let you know in short order.

• 2 weeks later...
I have lived in the Philippines for the past two years and with the diversity of people here I have revived a passion for doing casual/street shots. I agree with Joseph Wisniewski's approach, a casual non-threatening gesture of raising your camera with one hand, a sincere smile as you point at the camera and pow, 99.9995% of the people agree to having their picture taken. I actually have problems with people being too willing sometimes, especially a group of kids playing etc..they see me with a camera (even a small Contax G-2) and they swarm me..the candid moment is usually blown then. Adults here are very polite and seem flattered that you want their picture..I carry a digital cam (I hate digi-photography for the record) simply to use after I shoot with a good film camera..this way I can show them their shot on the digi screen..sort of like the old days when travelers carried polaroid cams to share with the locals/natives. It works very well. Just remember to smile a lot and respect their wishes...dont'accidentally try to photograph a Muslim woman with her 6'4" husband near by...oops (true story, maybe another time)