How do you politely decline?

mark_parker2

I've got a customer who has called me once a week for about a month. Each

time she has told me that she will have her daughter call and set up a

consultation. The daughter has never called. We've set appointments that she

ends up canceling. I've never once spoken to the bride. They refuse to meet

me for a consultation on my terms or my location and insist that I meet them at

their home. I'm a low end photographer and they want my low end package.

I've kinda been getting the willies about them for the past few weeks and

something deep inside tells me that this is gonna be BIG TROUBLE if I take it.

I'm tempted to meet them, but unless the bride is going to be an incredible

portfolio builder, I'm not going to take it.

What do you tell a client like this?

Well you need to stand clear on certain factors. I do think that your intial reaction of this bride is probably correct that she is going to be very difficult! It will probably continue throughout the entire process making tons of appointments and having them cancel. This just isn't what you need to deal with. Just let them know that you think they would be better suited to a different photographer. Let them know that you don't feel comfortable taking on their kind of wedding as of yet. Or just tell them that the date is taken and you couldn't hold it for them anymore. That is the easier course. Good luck!!

I would second Ellis' advice, but with the caveat that I would not say anything that isn't true.

"Sorry, but I'm no longer available on that date" is much better than stating you have already booked that time slot for another client, if you haven't.

It's a very subtle difference, but I really don't think it's a good idea to lie to potential customers. Even if you don't want their business.

Eric

You are no longer available on that date. No other explanation is needed or should be given.

Not being available could be anything from a new client, to a scheduled surgery, or a play date with your dogs. But you don't need to offer an explanation at all, period!

We've set appointments that she ends up canceling. I've never once spoken to the bride. They refuse to meet me for a consultation on my terms or my location and insist that I meet them at their home.

What you typed right there is only an indication of things to come. Never compromise your position of where you stand with things. It's better to lose a job, than to potentially open yourself up for a potential problem down the line.

Everyone else seems to think similarly, as do I.

There's always the direct approach.

"You know <insert Mom's name here> I've been trying to get in touch with <insert daughter's name here> for over a month now, and it's just not happening. I'm afraid I cannot afford to spend any more time on this. Thanks anyway, and best of luck to you".

Later,

Paulsky

I'm with Paulsky. Or tell the Mom, the daughter needs to call you herself if she is serious as you are very busy. No need to lie and say you're booked. That way you don't have to wonder when someone else calls about that same date if they are checking up to see if you are really booked.

Weigh the risk, just as you weigh the angles for a photo:

If this turns out to be a great portfolio bride, you have improved your portfolio.

If this turns out to be a difficult, or at the worst, legally tangling situation, you have possibly ruined your business.

Worth the risk?

No need for an explanation. Just say not available. If they ask for different date, say you will

check your calendar and get back with them if you are availble. I recommend not lying. Your

availability is determined only by you. Don't worry about some one checking on you because

you will be asking whose wedding they are calling for before saying anything about your

availability. You can decline a job in any number of ways but doing it politely is good

business. Hope some one else with better manners will call you. Sandy

After listing how difficult to meet they make themselves or even work with you, I'm surprised you'd write that you're tempted to meet them. But they don't appear as tempted to meet you.

I wouldn't mention anything to them about why you'd rather not have their business, as they'll just raise a defense and perhaps bad mouth you to others for being fussy... just a nice "oh I'm so sorry, thanks for thinking of me, but I've made other commitments" would suffice.

It's not as if they were really going to book you anyway. They've just been wanting to know that you're there, available, as a back up, just in case, while they've been going around trying to book a photographer.

That's what you've been seeing the outwards signs of.

On the slightly unrelated topic of "portfolio builder": They don't have to necessarily be pretty, just well liked by many people. In other words, if somebody sees their image and recognizes them, are they likely to hire you?

On the subject of what to tell these people: If you simply express your frustration in a tactful way and decline the job, you preserve your dignity and self esteem. Most people don't talk about photographers (one way or another) unless they actually hire them, so I wouldn't worry about bad word-of-mouth.

Later,

Paulsky