How do I Network with other Photographers

emmanuel_fils_aime

<p>I love taking pictures and I would love to make it a career (if possible) however I have been trying to get some first hand knowledge of this craft by trying to connect with Photographers in my area.<br>

The problem I seem to face is where to begin, my wife is a Chef and I have been taking pictures of Food and really enjoy that, I also work in the air transportation industry and love taking pictures of Landscapes so I would love to start connecting with Photographers who can explain the technical aspects as well as technique.<br>

I will read directions and follow them however I am a person who likes to go out and do<br>

The camera I have is an entry level Nikon D3000, DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens I have talked about getting into Photography I just have not started the first step and begin the process of picture taking<br>

Thank you for any advise I might get in this matter<br>

Emmanuel</p>

<p>Emmanuel - I'm from the Columbus Ohio area and have been an off-and-on member of several local photo clubs. One club is more oriented to gearheads. A second club gets out and takes pictures together. Wherever you're located, stop in at a local photo store. They should be able to put you in touch with any local clubs.</p>

<p>Good luck - Mark</p>

<p>Carson is right. Of course the old fashioned way is to see if you can get some "ink" (publicity) in the local media and in specialty magazines-- for instance cooking publications -- and so on. See if there is a photography club or two in your neck of the woods that you can join and talk "shop" with other photogs. Are there photography classes at local colleges? Sometimes instructors are knowledgeble in many areas of photography. Years ago I taught "Beginning freelance photography" and I think I helped a lot of folks get pointed in the right direction. A REALLY old fashioned way to network with other shooters is to find a real, gosh-durned old time camera store where like-minded photogs hang out. Some have bulletin boards to let you know what photo events are happening. Of course real camera stores are as hard to find as DeSoto cars, but there are still some around. You might even start your own camera club. Good luck.</p>

<p>Whilst Camera Clubs aren't for everyone, and in particular not every camera club is the same, exploring the clubs in your area is a good place to start until you find one where the interests of the members mirror your own. Some clubs have themed competitions where you're asked to get out and photograph specific subjects or approaches. Most clubs will allow you to observe for a few weeks whilst you decide whether they are the one.</p>

<p>Also I think the "evening class" idea may be a good one if you can find a course that matches your interests. </p>

<p>I think that you are right to believe that you need to get out, photograph , and seek interaction with people as well as participate on websites and read "how to" stuff online or in books.</p>

<p>There are several online options for networking using social media, notably Google+, Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest. Each has a unique vibe and certain pros and cons.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.colbybrownphotography.com/social-media-for-photographers-google/"><strong>This article</strong></a> is very Google Plus-centric, but does a good job of clarifying the differences between G+ and Facebook.</p>

<p>Even though I'm not a working pro I get a lot out of social media because photographers whose work and opinions I respect will suggest links to articles, other photographers' websites, recommendations for in-person and online workshops, etc. This type of networking compatibility helps filter out stuff I'm not interested in and homes in on the good stuff. The downside is a risk of becoming too insular, so I also pay attention to folks with whom I don't necessarily agree.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I love taking pictures and I would love to make it a career</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A lot of people think this way but some words of caution might be in order. When I started out as a working photographer, a good income was not difficult to attain, provided you achieved the right performance as a business person and technician. That is no longer true.</p>

<p>It's very difficult to get accurate figures but my own observations suggest that, in the UK, an income of £10,000 per annum (much less than half the average) is obtained by a very small number of photographers. When I did this for a living, my income varied between the national average and three times the national average. In the last ten years, I've seen around thirty competent technicians attempt to earn their living from photography but none, unfortunately, have succeeded.</p>

<p>If you do think that this is your preferred career, rather than contacting other photographers you need to network with the people to whom you wish to sell your services, be they chefs or art gallery owners.</p>

<p>Better still, keep it as a hobby and rise in the air transport industry, which is likely to give you a better income.</p>

<p>The suggestion about any local camera stores being a connection to camera clubs is a good one, if such still exist wherever you are.</p>

<p>Every camera club is different, but many tend to fall into the "gearhead" or "shooter" categories.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>"There may also be the problem that camera club's seek camera club photographs and I am not sure food comes in that heading .. certainly I have never seen any that I remember, still life of fruit and vegetables for sure but food no :-)"</em><br /> <br /> <em><br /></em>A few years ago, I approached several indy bakeries, delis, bars and restaurants in my area on behalf of my old club re: promotional photos. They all jumped at the chance after seeing some of our work and we supplied a range of shots they subsequently used for print ads, menus, and in-house displays. Win-win for all: we got a generous prolonged round of comped eats and drinks, along with photo credits that several members still make a few bucks off.</p>

<p>Meetup groups and older established clubs vary greatly in terms of experience, interests, and personalities--it's always a matter of finding a good fit for you.</p>

<p>I agree with the above suggestions - investigate local clubs and social media.<br>

I joined a local club in Hong Kong which encourages variety. Every month we members enter images on a different topic (topics are suggested by the members at start of the year) so that the club doesn't get stuck in a rut. They also get local pros along on a regular basis to give feedback on members images. If you find your local club unwelcoming or too inflexible, just start your own.<br>

Ditto with social media. I found a great Street Photography Facebook group for HK and as a result made several very useful contacts and got to see lots of images from other people who share my interest.</p>