How do I invert an image of the negative into positive

<p>In Photoshop, Image .. Adjustments .. Invert. Or just control-I.</p>

<p>As to the correct contrast and colour balance. I don't think there's an automatic way of doing this. You will have to use Levels or Colour Balance to do it by eye. Don't forget colour negative film has an orange mask. There's something about getting rid of this here:</p>

<p>http://boliston.wordpress.com/2009/11/08/scanning-a-c41-negative-2/</p>

<blockquote>

<p>As to the correct contrast and colour balance. I don't think there's an automatic way of doing this.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Of course PS has Auto Tone, Auto Contrast and Auto Color. They work very well in some circumstances and not so well in others.</p>

<p>There is a more or less automatic way in Photoshop, as long as there's somewhere in the image that is meant to not have a cast.</p>

<p>Quickest way I've found is to use Control-i as mentioned, then use curves (control-M) or levels (control-L), both found in Image->Adjustments to adjust the colour balance. Use the gray point tool (middle eyedropper icon) and select any area in the image that is meant to have no colour cast (concrete, eyes, paper etc.) and photoshop will remove the colour cast automatically. You'll then want to play with contrast via levels, curves etc. to get a good result (the white and black droppers can also be used for this if there's appropriate areas in the image).</p>

<p>That's assuming you're using photoshop. I'm sure there's equivalent methods in most other software (and there's probably a couple of dozen ways of doing it in Photoshop)</p>