How do I download photos

deb_richards

that are on the camera themselves; not on the disk.

I am a highly inexperienced photographer with a new camera.

When my memory disc was full, I took it out and continued to snap.

Nothing to download.

Was the camera simply being nice to me by letting me continue to photograph or

are there actually photos I can access?

I chose the option, during set up to allow photos without the memory disc.

THANKS

if anyone can answer this basic question.

No memory card, no photos. You didn't mention what model camera you have, but chances are, it doesn't have internal storage and won't store any images when the shutter is fired with no memory card installed.

You can likely change your camera's settings to not allow shooting without a memory card inserted and save yourself some wasted effort in the future. :)

Once the card is full the camera will not record any more photos - it is just like shooting

with no film in the camera. (Think of the memory card as your "film.")

There are basically two methods for getting photos from the camera (or, more correctly,

the card in your camera) to your computer.

1. Using a cable provided with the camera when you purchased it and using software that

came with the camera, you can connect the camera to the computer's USB port and let the

software download it. (If you have a recent Mac, built-in software can do this for you.)

2. Get an inexpensive external "card reader" that will work with your card and connect it

to your computer. Put the card in the card reader and use your computer's software to

download the images.

Take a look at your camera manual. It will almost certainly explain these options.

Deb, what camera do you have?

Many compact cameras have a certain amount of internal storage, which is independent of the memory card - sounds to me like you have one of these?

If that is the case the camera will allow you to continue shooting after the memory card is full, up until it has also filled the internal memory.

EG - I have a Fuji F31 which in addition to using XD cards has 26mb of internal storage - to download that 26mb I would have to connect to the computer via the USB cord (without the memory card in the camera), and follow the instructions for the camera software to download.

The car will not drive without petrol. People will not last without food and water. The lights will not work without electricity.

And the cameras...they will work even if the users have no clue and are not bothered to read the manual. Pretty amazing and funny, watching the human race play with newest technological inventions...

There's nothing logically impossible about a camera having a bit of built-in storage capacity, it's just that Canon DSLRs don't, and will not record anything in the absence of a memory card (you're probably a bit off-target calling it a "memory disc", Deb). It's all too easy for those of us immersed in the technology to forget that what seems obvious to us may be not at all obvious to a newcomer. As for reading the manual, that might be a lot easier if the pages of safety warnings and compliance statements were relegated to VERY small print at the end.

Well, I just assume that she is using a Canon DSLR because she is in a Canon EOS forum. Assuming can be bad of course. I just wish Deb would reply to the questions of the forum so we would know what she is shooting with and there for would help us help her. ;o) It appears that she gave up on it after about 1 hour. It usually takes a good day or so to get a full set of responses

Rob, that is what I was trying to convey about the option. Sorry I was not clear. :o)

Jason