How do I advertise my photography services & find new customers?

j_madden

<br /> I'm trying to develop my photography business this year by shooting more weddings, corporate events, offering individual, family & couples portraiture, etc. I need some advice on how to promote my business services.<br /> <br /> What methods of advertising should I focus on? Advertising on the web? Trade shows? Bridal conventions? I know there are costs associated with attending each and I'd like to get your input on what's the best bang for the buck. What professional associations should I join to get access/exposure to new customers?

<br />

I've tried posting to Craigslist but have found that to be a very fickle group.<br />

<br />

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated!<br /> Thanks in advance.<br />

<p>How do other photographers in your area offering similar services advertise? Portraits and events etc isn't my bag but around here (Midwest) the photographers that offer this seem to work largely on word of mouth and targeted mailings. <br /> <br /> Networking is always a good idea so joining associations that have things going on locally where you are is a good idea. Join, participate, build contacts.</p>

<p>Advertising (marketing) can not be separated from sales. This is why the two words are often used together.."Sales <strong>AND</strong> marketing."</p>

<p>Generating leads is rarely a problem; qualifying and capitalizing on those leads is where the rubber meets the road. (sales)</p>

<p>If you are seeking the magic marketing bullet; there is no such thing.</p>

<p>Simply asking your wedding clients "<em>hey, do you know anyone gettin' married soon</em>?"..Is not the way to prospect.</p>

<p>The key is parlaying ALL customers you currently have into more customers...and those contacts into more contacts etc..etc...Everyone knows at least 10 people..of those 10, they know 100 etc and so it goes.<br>

Prospect what you have now..From your current customer base, you need to harvest and mine more potential clients. Referral business is everything to me. Some say referral business is word of mouth, and I suppose it is; but with a working prospecting plan, word of mouth can be explosive; but it doesn't just happen on it's own.</p>

<p>It is hard work and requires a solid follow-up program; in other words, keeping your name in front of them on a regular basis.</p>

<p>Networking is great; I am a strong advocate of it; but like a dog chasing a car, unless you can <em><strong>SELL</strong></em> these leads, you have wasted your marketing time, energy and money.</p>

<p>I would suggest a book or two on salesmanship. Salesmanship is not a dirty word..and IMO is critical to successful sales and future sales.</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
<p>I make most of my money from my web site. Of course I designed my site to get higher search ranking and to focus only on the area of photography I want to sell. This way when someone does a search for that area of photography I get found and they will see samples of my work. If I wanted event photography jobs and the first photo they saw after searching for an event photographer was a bridal portrait they would move to the next site. Got to know what market you are going after. For Weddings bridal shows can be good. You need to be 100% ready with good images and something that will capture the attention of the brides walking by. When I did bridal shows I not only would show wedding portraits for attention I would offer a Honeymoon Package that got attention. At least 50% of brides at a show will not be looking for a photographer but a lot of them want a great Honeymoon deal. Great way to make extra on the side and open up a conversation that can lead into engagement photos, family photos even if the wedding photographer was already booked. You need to do something to get your name well known. This will make it easier to book when they see you for the first time. You should have a new marketing program working every 1-2 months. Continous marketing is the key. It works!</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>I also use Facebook as a way of marketing. I have had no success with Craigslist, and only get responses of other people trying to sell me their products.<br>

<b>Signature URL removed. Not allowed per photo.net Terms of Use.</b></p>