How and when to use the Omni Bounce?

jespdj

I've bought a Sto-Fen Omni Bounce to use on my Canon 420EX speedlite.

I've made some test shots with and without the Omni Bounce (with the

flash head tilted up 45 degrees), but I don't see any significant

difference between the shots.

<p>Does anyone have (test)photos that show the difference between

using and not using the Omni Bounce? How and when do you use the Omni

Bounce?

<p>It sure was an expensive piece of plastic...

I notice a difference when I use mine. It's not always a great big difference but it helps. More important is to keep the flash directly over the lens to minimize side shadow. I usually hold my camera in my right hand, the flash in the left, so I can turn the camera either way. Whith my Vivitar 283 a rubber band and a business card works almost as well as the Omni Bounce.

Hi Jesper,

I can imagine the result are disapponting - but you're not making a fair comparison. Forget about the walls and ceiling, go outside and compare the OmniBounce on a slightly tilted head with a direct flash towards the subject. Now you'll see the difference!

You always need to tilt the head a little (or a lot depending on what you want) to tell the Flash it shouldn't use distance info because the flash light goes indirect. Only, not via a wall but via internal reflection in the OmniBounce. I'm not sure about Canon, but it works like that with Nikon.

That's correct. The Omni-bounce isn't any different from normal bounce flash off a good neutral surface. What it IS better than is direct flash, or flash bounced off of a strongly colored surface. The raison-d-etre for an Omni-bounce is when you don't otherwise have a good bounce surface for the flash directly overhead, it gives you one quite portably.

If I understand the original question, you're comparing

bounce flash without the omni-bounce to bounce flash with the

omni-bounce. I'm not surprised that there's little difference.

Both ways of shooting should be much more pleasing than direct

unbounced flash.

<p>

The way I see it, the reason for using an omni bounce is when

you can't be bothered to properly aim the flash head to bounce

of the wall or ceiling. As the name

implies, its omnidirectional, and you can point it pretty much

any direction and still get the same results. Aiming the

flash is now one less thing for a photojournalist to

worry about. It pretty nearly emulates a bare bulb

flash, except that it's a little bit bigger.

<p>

I don't understand the reason why someone would use it

outdoors. I've done a/b tests with an without the omnibounce

outdoors, and without a nearby reflective surface to bounce off

of, the only difference I noticed was that it cost

a few stops of light. It's just as harsh as direct flash

in this situation.

this wont make you feel good at all. sorry , but not all costly things work any better than cheap ones. that's why i've stuck with using 4"x^6" white index cards to bounce flash ever since, aside from not being able to afford an omnibounce. cheers ! pc

Thanks for the answers!

<p>I had previously read some other posts / articles about using the Omni Bounce and I thought that you needed to have a surface to bounce the flash off of; it's called an Omni <b>Bounce</b> anyway... If it works to diffuse the flash also without a surface, that would ofcourse be useful. Maybe I should have tried the index card method before spending � 35 (about US$ 40 !!!) on it.... :-)

I read in this forum once that an inexpensive substitute for the Omnibounce is to buy a standard bottle of rubbing alcohol from your local drug store and cut off the slightly bulbous, bottom portion of it. That's the end that fits snugly over a Vivitar 283/285 or a Sunpak 383 and provides suitable diffusion. Seems to work as well as an Omnibounce for a fraction of the cost.

The 'bounce' in 'Omnibounce' is a misnomer.

It is an omnidirectional device, so it's light output will always be DIRECT. In other

words, it will always create those hard shadows that we associate with direct flash.

Conventional bounce flash, on the other hand, is INDIRECT - a wall or a ceiling

becomes

the light source, and we no longer see those hard flash shadows.

So why use an Omnibounce?

Well, apart from lighting the subject directly, it does knock a little bit of light around

the room,

and this causes a slight reduction in the contrast of those hard flash shadows.

However the main reason to use an Omnibounce is that it provides a very smooth,

consistent light - whereas undiffused flashguns will often exhibit hot-spots.

An Omnibounce (or other diffusion method), becomes essential when you are working

with very wide-angle lenses, or very close to your subject. An undiffused flashgun

will be unable to cover the scene you have framed.

But if you like bounced flash, forget the Omnibounce, and tilt the flash head.

I agree with Elliot - a compelling reason for using one is to avoid flash fall-off with wide angle lens. I haven't got one as my flashguns aren't best designed for the Omnibounce, but I recall seeing a display in a photo store which included a sample photo taken with either a 20mm or 12mm wide angle (it may have been a 12mm).

Also, as said, the light spread is intended to happen in the Omnibounce itself - not by bouncing it off a wall. It's probably more light-efficient as well as handier.

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I've invested in an omni bounce for use on a Canon 580 flash. I have not used a LS but taken a few test shots with and without the omni bounce mounted.

Many people have remarked that they see no difference when bouncing flash with or without the omni bounce mounted. At first glance it's true to say it appears that there is no difference, but on closer inspection I have found that the omni bounce distributes a more even light - so much so that when bouncing light without the omni mounted I have found secondary shadows!! I guess that's because the flash without the omni is much more directional - even when bouncing the light!!

I also quite like the results of shooting direct with omni mounted - even though it's recommended to bounce at 45ª angle. The biggest difference is in the white balance - a slightly warmer tone is produced (nice for portraits) and less washed out than using without, however I do have to set the Flash Compensation to approx +1 1/3 which may drain batteries quicker?

Hope this helps...

Ade<div>00QVzJ-64385684.jpg.98c72b1a626c884066623fff27673871.jpg</div>