Hot Sure where to post this question about photo scanners

bill_kubiak

<p>I have box's of photos I want to scan and get in my computer, I am looking to get an inexpensive pass through scanner, I see several Kodak models on eBay, they are the P 460, P 461, P 570, P 811. What is the difference between them? Are they a decent unit? They are all sold on eBay, some are used, some advertised as new old stock and all under 100 bucks.</p>

<p>If you mean scanning prints, you can get perfectly fine, brand new, flatbed scanners for less than $100 too. Plus, those can also scan documents if you need. I've got a Canon Lide-210, which is really surprisingly good; you could also consider an all-in-one printer, the better ones have really decent scanners integrated. Plus, you'd be sure thery're supported in current operating systems, in case of problems you'd have warranty. All in all, I think more convenient than the Kodak scanners, unless you want/need to scan negatives. </p>

<p>Such things have existed, at least the feeder part. Epson made a "Multi Photo Feeder" that attached to the Perfection 2480 and 2580. It was a short lived experiment. In theory you could buy one of those for about $150 and a used scanner, or if you're lucky find the 2480 Limited Edition that came with it. Most other feeds are designed for much thinner paper. There are some higher-end feedthrough scanners from Fujitsu and Epson but I don't know how good they are for photos.</p>

<p>With Epson software or Vuescan you could probably fabricate a frame that would hold 3 prints in place in a predictable fashion so you could batch scan and reload.</p>

<p>I have found what the differences are on the models<br>

A P 460 will take photos up to 4 inch by 6 inch The 461 is just a later version of the 460<br>

A P 570 will take photos up to 5 inch by 7 inch<br>

An 811 will do photos up to 8 inch by 11 inch<br>

Each size up means a later model<br>

There is another similar machine called a pandigital, but that company has gone out of business,<br>

Did a bit of looking around and they seem to be decent machines, sure would like to hear from some one that actually has one</p>

<p>Bought a Kodak P-570 on eBay it will be here by the end of the week. The seller got it at an estate sale, said it looks brand new but it was missing the Kodak EZ Share Program disk. It was probably just a photo shop type thing and I have iPhoto, so no problem. 37.00 plus shipping. </p>

<p>I looked over that Vuescan link and it basically tells me how to scan something from a flat bed scanner. I have a good HP 5200 all in one that scans really nice pictures but that proceedure is slow as mud.<br>

Don't think that applies to me.<br>

When I get my Kodak 570 Scanner what I want to do with the scanned photos is arrange them in groups like a 1965 party at Mom's house or boating with Dad, or Christmas family gathering 1980 something and so on and so forth and get all that on a dvd or cd, set it up as a slide show with a caption under each picture, perhaps some background music or even narration so viewers looking at hundreds of pictures will not get bored and want to keep watching.<br>

I will need all the advice and help once I have the pictures scanned to do what I want to do, I now have grandkids and great grandkids that never got to know or meet my grandfather or my father or my sister and brother, I have pictures of all of that I want to get all that on a disc and send to the family to share</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I need help with my scanned pictures<br>

I have the Kodak 570 scanner and it works great, and does a nice clear job of scanning in both 300 and 600 DPI and putting the photos on an SD card.<br>

here is my new issue<br />When I insert the SD card in my apple iMac with OS X I get an icon of the card<br />I click on the card and get a small menu, the one selection the instruction says says to click on is Photo1<br />I do that and I get a list of the photo's by number starting with EK0001 and so on<br />I click on one and a photo pops up about 2/3's of the screen size and very clear<br />My problem is I do not seem to be able to do anything with it<br />iPhoto in my Mac has been replaced by a new program just called "Photos"<br />When I right click on a picture I get a choice of things to do, one of them is send it to Photos, when I click on that nothing happens except a screen flash, however I can send them to insert into an email, or Facebook or other places.<br />I have looked all over Photos but I cannot find the pictures<br /><br />What to do at this point is my question?</p>