jim mucklin

I am just starting my learning curve, and would like to start out

with a set of 500's, for main and fill. Any recomendations on the

kits available like the Smith Victor, etc? Also from what I read I

can use an 80A with my regular outdoor film, is that correct? I just

want to do my basic study before I go to strobe, I understand there

are advantages to both.

Thanks in advance

From what I am reading it can be done either way, Im just starting out with this project and just what to do small still or maybe single portrait and just want to learn, I don't have to light up the world, I would like to get the theory down before I drop a fortune in strobes, I understand you get what you pay for.

I know what you mean. I did a little copy work with nothing but a set of shop lights. It was B&W so no need to worry about the colour. Lighting filters I think are cheaper then glass filters and you'll have a bright view finder. You might want to check how much power hot lights need. When I used the shop lights a total of 500 watts didn't deliver much light. That's about 4 amps.

A filter on the lights or lens will cost you about 2 stops. If you then bounce them into an umbrella or shoot them through a diffuser, you loose another 1-2 stops. I used to do this and found that by using 400 ISO portrait film, 500 watt lights were workable, but I was surprised at how slow the shutter had to be. Unless I used a wide aperture I definitely needed a tripod.

I preferred to put blue filters on the lights. That kept the subject from getting as hot. Unless you can cool the room, this becomes a big issue.

I also found that getting the right shade of blue wasn't as important as you might think. There is quite a lot of allowable error with most portrait print film. You could also shoot without any filter, but correcting that after the fact, was too much for most processors.

Thanks, Ellis am I correct in my reading that with the balanced film I won't have to use the filters on either? If the film and light have to same Kelvin, I'll be able to use color, correct?I have read some of your other posts and your recomendation of the Lowell's tota and your time in postings has been most helpful. I just wanted to say Thanks, in between the bickerings of others it's nice to have some help

Jim, am I missing something? Bickerings? Anyhow...Hot lights are great if you can afford the power. I feel you'll run into the limits of 500 really soon. The tungsten film recommendation is also limiting, as there aren't many choices, and most of them are slide film. Fuji had/has NPL in medium format for C41. Otherwise you have a couple of 64, 160, and 320 stocks to choose from. More than likely the 320 with your 500w power. But your theory is great, and proven, to learn on hot lamps. And you'll use them with your eventual move to strobes too, mixing it up. Cheers

Thanks Eric, What I meant to say was just "Thank you" to Ellis, and I have spent quite a few hours, reading this entire site and while I know that people won't always agree, Ellis's help has been invaluable to me on all levels and what I was referring to was a past post where I took it personal that someone would respond to him in the manner they did. Just the ramblings of a mad man.