Hong Kong

alan_rockwood

<p>I've photographed there a few times , most recently in October.</p>

<ul>

<li>Skyline views. The best known is probably from the Peak , not far from the upper tram station. The tram tends to be heaving and doesn't start from a particularly convenient place anyway. My advice is to get a taxi up at least an Hour before sunset and down again after dark A better view IMO anyway on a well-lit morning is the view from the elevated walkway that starts near the Star Ferry terminal, Kowloon side. Dawn or dusk.</li>

<li>The elevated walkways. Right through the Central and Admiralty/Wanchai districts you have walkways that help you get around the middle of the city without taking your life in yoour hands on the roads. They're good for photography too.</li>

<li>High viewpoints. The Hopewell Centre, Wanchai, Central Plaza, the biggest building in wanchai, and IFC2 the huge tower at the Exchange Place Centre, all have observation platforms. Check for hours.</li>

<li>Weird food and "medical" stuff. For shops selling stuff you thought you'd never see try Bonham Strand and the side roads off it, just east of the Sheung Wan metro. In the same area, the Man Mo temple was in total disarray under building works three months ago and I wouldn't bet on it being back to normal now.</li>

<li>If you want to see the teeming masses and the "characterful" apartment blocks, take a tram ride west along Queensway and Hennessy Road as far as North Point and walk at least some of the way back. It makes the Lower east Side in NYC look positively spacious and quiet. Alternatively, get to the Jade Market in Kowloon and walk round the north-south roads that terminate at Austin Street.</li>

<li>Right now the star ferry to Wanchai is a better bet than the better known ride to Central. Thats because there's a massive land reclamation scheme near Central that you have to spend a dull few minutes walking past at the latter. If OTOH the thought of huge construction sites excites you then the view from the rooftop bar at Sevva , on the east side of Statue Square will interest you.</li>

</ul>

<p>There's quite a lot to see. Over a few days you won't struggle.</p>

<p>DO NOT MISS the nighttime view of the Hong Kong skyline and laser light show from the Kowloon waterfront. One of the best vantage points is from the promenade in the rear of the Intercontinental Hotel. As a matter of fact, the best drink I ever had was a vodka and tonic in the Intercontinental Hotel lounge. The drink was nothing special, but the view was out of this world. My only regret is that I didn't bring my tripod. I got a few shots with my image stabilized lens, but I'm not that happy with them. </p>

<p>DO NOT MISS the nighttime view of the Hong Kong skyline and laser light show from the Kowloon waterfront. One of the best vantage points is from the promenade in the rear of the Intercontinental Hotel. As a matter of fact, the best drink I ever had was a vodka and tonic in the Intercontinental Hotel lounge. The drink was nothing special, but the view was out of this world. My only regret is that I didn't bring my tripod. I got a few shots with my image stabilized lens, but I'm not that happy with them. </p>

• 2 weeks later...