Hong Kong 1997

russell_brooks

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/presentation?

presentation_id=270394">Hong Kong 1997 </a>- Here are some shots I

took back in 1997 of Hong Kong. It's a mix of B&W and color. For the

most part I was using my Nikon with a 50mm for the night time shots

and a 28-70 zoom for the daytime. The little 28-70 was a decent lens

given it's smallish size and was my most used lens over the ten or so

years I shot with a Nikon. To be honest it was this trip that got be

back into photography on one hand, and on the other it made me

realize I needed more from my camera than Nikon had to offer. I've

since switched over to Leica.

Hi Russell,

They are excellent. I don't know how the Leica can improve any of these composition. Since many of these shots were taken at low light situations, may be either a 35mm or 50mm ASPH Summilux "may" give you more sharpness, but that's it. Can you show us some pictures taken with your Leica?

Hi Russell,

<p>A very nice batch of photos! Cameras are only tools and I have the feeling that you can make good photos with any camera (your China folder contains some gems too) :-)</p>

<p>I was in Hong Kong in '98 and got <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=377810">these</a> shots - thought I'd share them now the topic is on that fantastic city</p>

Merry Christmas,

The Leica would not improve any of those shots (except the one medium format one where I was force to handhold at f4). The Leica would let me shot different pictures. For instance if you look at the China 2004 folder you'll many more people pictures and also closer up and with a sequence (although I dont always show the full shoot). Why? It's quiet, small, and unobtrusive so I get the 2nd and 3rd shots! That's the key. A large, loud Nikon (with heaven forbid a flash) will only get the first shot before disturbing the atmosphere. Plus with the Leica M3 I can keep one eye open and people can relate to a human rather than a machine with the Nikon and the viewfinder in the middle of the camera obstructing you face and eyes. Emotion begets emotion. I preset my exposure, try to preset the focus, bring and leave to the face as short as time as possible, *click*, and move to the next shot. That's Leica! My style has evolved into many more pictures involving the human element with the Leica...

I def agree with you. An SLR is fine at places where photography is not uncommon such as big attractions, festivals, sport venues, events, where holiday tours go to, or if you are with the minor like at parks etc..

I really think one person at least need a pocker camera, Last time I was in Japan, I took many photos on my D70 but only a few of them were at the cities. However I took no photos at crowded areas. I did take the camera out with me but it was in my bag. Yes, becos you kill the atmosphere, and they relate to you as you on a serious project ..... it was also a bit big and heavy too that you always needed a bag. I arn't going via a shopping mall, trying on clothes while I have a big SLR with me, dining out etc etc.

After coming back from JP I have been thinking of a pocket cam like a Leica CL and a Nikon Coolpix both allow manual settings with a meter, filter attachments, manual focus and it fits in the pocket. It should supplement the Nikon bodies very well. The Leica Digilux from the look at the shop's showroom cabinet was far too big..

Very nice pictures Russell. You sure have a good eye for capturing people. Well done. I was in Hong Kong this summer for the first time as an adult and things have sure changed a lot in the past few years! I can see what you mean about the a big bulky Nikon camera interfering with the atmosphere. When I was in Hong Kong, I felt uneasy taking out my F5 out. Most of the poeple I saw in Hong Kong now a days have camera phones dangling on their necks with lanyards and many of them carry tiny little digital cameras. When I took out my F5, SB28DX and 80-200 to try so scenic shots, I felt like was operating a tank! Likely I also had a tiny digital camera.

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/presentation?

presentation_id=270408">China 2004 </a> - Here's a link to a recent trip to China. These were shot with the collapsible Elmar or a Noctilux on a M7. It's not Nikon, but it shows how I evolved from Nikon to Leica which suited my style(but maybe not everybody's) better. What you do give up is the varing focal lengths. I'm sure I "missed" a few good wide angles or telephoto shots. On the other hand I've learned the 50mm lens so well I probably picked up a few shots that I might have otherwise overlooked. But I do still have my Nikkor 20mm, 85mm, and a 28-105mm, which I am saving for the day when I finally break down and buy one of the digital Nikons to play around with...