HOCKEY GOAL/NET CAMERAS

jason_morneau

HI, I AM THE PHOTOGRAPHER AND WEBMASTER FOR GOALTENDER AL MONTOYA, I

AM VERY INTERESTED IN GETTING A GOAL CAM SETUP AT GAMES. I'M PRETTY

SURE USING & SETTING UP ONE WOULD BE A POSSIBILITY, JUST WONDERING

WHERE YOU CAN BUY THEM, I'D PROBABLY HAVE TO BUY USED. THANKS VERY

MUCH FOR ANY HELP.

Jason-

Make sure you check with the PR Rep for the team before buying anything to make sure you will actually be allowed to use camera! My hubbie is also in the nhl and the other night I was told that the max lens I could use to take pictures of him was 200mm... they weren't cutting me any slack! I really doubt they'll let you set up a goal cam, it would probably interfer with TV cameras, don't you think? Good luck and I hope you're able to work something out!

The NHL specifies a goal cam box is NO BIGGER than 8.5" wide x 6.75" deep x 6.75" vertical. My suggestion is to make it smaller. Go with a 5D or a 1DS or better yet a film camera for full frame. You will not be able to get to your camera too often to change batteries, so using something like a 1V or a EOS 3 is a good choice. Go with as wide angle a lens as you can, 8mm or 15mm fish eyes are great for goal cams. Once you either buy or build you box, you have to verify it with the NHL officials for your arena that it is within their guidelines. Even then, if a goalie or official does not like it, it can be removed. There is a lot of information on SportsShooter about goal cams and here is one great link there http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=13251#4

The NHL will also limit the number of goal cams in one box. So if SI or another major photographer is setting up a goal cam, you may not be able to.